Defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche crucial to Rebels’ dominance

<p>Mississippi defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche (5) pursues Vanderbilt quarterback Johnny McCrary (2) during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015, in Oxford, Miss.</p>

Mississippi defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche (5) pursues Vanderbilt quarterback Johnny McCrary (2) during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015, in Oxford, Miss.

While Florida has Jon Bullard anchoring its defensive line, Ole Miss has a player whose pure talent has others in awe: Robert Nkemdiche.

"He’s a freak," former LSU defensive lineman and current SEC Nation co-host Marcus Spears said.

"Honestly, those types of guys come around every so often."

Nkemdiche is the defensive player UF coach Jim McElwain has been asked about the most leading up to tomorrow’s game against the Rebels.

Nkemdiche is a load to handle.

Listed at 6-foot-4 and weighing in at 296 pounds, the junior defensive lineman has the physical tools to be a nightmare for opposing offensive lines.

McElwain said the Rebels do a great job of putting Nkemdiche in the right situations to maximize his skillset.

"Power, explosion, (and) where he’s supposed to be in gap control and not trying to make things up," McElwain said.

While Ole Miss doesn’t have the most impressive stats in the nation — its three sacks rank a paltry 118th in the country — the defensive front still puts opposing offenses in tough predicaments.

"The third down and 11-plus and the third down and 7 to 10 reel is forever," McElwain said. "That’s an indicator that they’re winning on first and second down."

What separates Nkemdiche from other top defensive linemen is his versatility, though. Not only will he line up inside along the defensive line, but in pass rush situations where Ole Miss uses him to pressure the quarterback.

Spears compared Nkemdiche’s versatility to that of former Gator and third overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, Dante Fowler Jr.

"When you have a guy that gives you so much multiplicity on the next level, they value that at a high rate," Spears said. "Dante Fowler was a guy that you could put in a lot of different positions to create havoc defensively and Nkemdiche is that guy."

This season, Nkemdiche has 15 total tackles, good enough for eighth best on the team, along with 4.5 tackles for loss, second most on the team behind his brother, Denzel.

While his 0.5 sacks through four games don't jump off the stat sheet, McElwain said it’s his ability to disrupt the run game that makes him such a valuable piece to Ole Miss’ defense.

"It’s not as much he’s a great pass rusher, but how disruptive he is in the run game," McElwain said.

Robert has also been used on offense, scoring three touchdowns this season. In goal line packages, he has lined up as a full back and scored twice.

He also caught a pass in the season-opener against Tennessee-Chattanooga and took it 31 yards for a touchdown.

But it’s on the defensive side where he makes his name known.

McElwain said the offense has a tough task Saturday and that it’s going to take a group effort to slow him down.

"This guy’s strength, he just one arm’s guys. These aren’t just little guys," McElwain said. "These are 320-pound O-linemen. He’s a good one."

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII