<p>Adam Lane rushes for a touchdown during Florida's 28-20 win in the Birmingham Bowl against East Carolina on Jan. 3 at Legion Field.</p>

Adam Lane rushes for a touchdown during Florida's 28-20 win in the Birmingham Bowl against East Carolina on Jan. 3 at Legion Field.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Heading into Florida’s meeting with East Carolina in Saturday’s Birmingham Bowl, the Gators’ mentality could have been questioned.

It was another bad season by Florida standards — a 6-5 regular season to them is unacceptable.

The players could have checked out, opting to put minimal effort into the game.

A Jim McElwain-led coaching staff waited in the wings, preparing to take over a struggling Gators program once the game at Legion Field concluded.

But instead of brushing the game off, the Gators (7-5) ended their season with a bang, defeating the Pirates (8-5) 28-20 in Birmingham to clinch their first bowl victory since 2011.

"Coming into the game, we knew what we were getting into," said redshirt sophomore Marcus Maye. "We all decided to rally together and play for each other and the coaching staff. We wanted to go out at the end of the season with a win, so that’s what we came together for and accomplished."

In the process, Florida’s younger players who are returning to the McElwain regime showcased that McElwain has a group with potential to grow.

Sophomore Ahmad Fulwood scored on an 86-yard catch-and-run, UF’s longest play from scrimmage this season and the sixth longest pass play in program history.

Sophomore wide receiver Demarcus Robinson and redshirt freshman offensive lineman Rod Johnson provided key blocks along the way for that play.

And redshirt freshman running back Adam Lane, who had just nine carries for 72 yards all season leading up to Saturday, took the bulk of the snaps in the backfield with starter Matt Jones nursing a shoulder injury and Kelvin Taylor struggling to produce.

The 5-foot-7, 222-pound Lane ended the game with 109 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries en route to being named the Birmingham Bowl Most Valuable Player.

"It felt great," Lane said. "It just built a bigger fire in me."

The defense survived the offensive assault that came at the hands of East Carolina.

The Pirates managed 101 plays and 536 yards of total offense — numbers that are uncharacteristically high for a Gators defense that ranked ninth in the country heading into the game.

But Florida’s defense made the plays when needed.

Cornerback Brian Poole forced the first turnover of the game, intercepting ECU quarterback Shane Carden and returning it 29 yards for a touchdown.

Linebackers Alex Anzalone and Daniel McMillian saw increased playing time after defensive leader Antonio Morrison left the game with a knee injury in the second quarter.

True freshman Gerald Willis forced a driving East Carolina offense to fumble on the goal line, saving a potential seven points from hitting the scoreboard, and Vernon Hargreaves all but ended the game with an interception in the end zone with 1:20 left on the clock.

"There’s great talent there," Durkin said. "And I think even more important than the talent is the amount of character on this team. This would have been an easy situation not to go out and compete and play like we did."

And if Saturday was any indication, the best is yet to come.

"We went out and emptied our minds of everything and went out there and played," Lane said. "We worked hard on the field and tried to get a win, and that was our main focus."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126