Will Muschamp will not return as Florida's head coach next season

<p>Will Muschamp walks off the field following Florida's 42-13 loss to Missouri on Oct. 18.</p>

Will Muschamp walks off the field following Florida's 42-13 loss to Missouri on Oct. 18.

Will Muschamp will not be at the helm of the Florida football program after this season.

The fourth-year head coach stepped down from the position, the school announced in a release on Sunday.

Muschamp will coach the final two games of the season — Saturday's noon matchup against Eastern Kentucky and the Nov. 29 matchup against Florida State — and then step down.

“Upon evaluation of our football program, we are not where the program needs to be and should be. I've always said that our goal at the University of Florida is to compete for championships on a regular basis,” athletics director Jeremy Foley said in a statement. “Coach Muschamp was dedicated to developing young men both on and off the field. Our student-athletes showed tremendous growth socially and academically under his leadership. His players were involved in campus activities, engaged with the local community and represented the University of Florida with pride."

Florida is coming off a 23-20 overtime loss to South Carolina, Muschamp’s fourth conference loss of the season to bring UF’s record to 5-4 on the year.

During his four-year tenure at UF, Muschamp went just 27-20 overall and 17-15 in Southeastern Conference play.

“I appreciate the opportunity that has been offered to me and my family by Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and the University of Florida,” Muschamp said in a release. “I was given every opportunity to get it done here and I simply didn’t win enough games – that is the bottom line. I’m disappointed that I didn’t get it done and it is my responsibility to get it done."

Muschamp still has three seasons remaining on his contract. He will be paid $2 million per season for the length of his contract.

Stay tuned to alligatorSports.org for more updates.