<p>Sophomore Sierra Brooks performed admirably, but the Gators struggled as a team on Day 1 of the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic. </p>

Sophomore Sierra Brooks performed admirably, but the Gators struggled as a team on Day 1 of the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic. 

Sierra Brooks’ play was about the only thing that went well for the Florida women’s golf team in Georgia on Friday, as UF finished in 10th place out of 12 teams after two rounds at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic.

Brooks, a sophomore, closed the first round at 1 over and the second round at 2 under, bringing her score to 1 under on the day — good enough for a tie of 11th place on the individual leaderboard.

Sophomore Marta Perez was next on the card, finishing the day at 6 over (7 over in round one, 1 under in round two). She concluded the day in a tie for 31st.

Sophomore Addie Baggarly and senior Taylor Tomlinson followed, placing in ties for 42nd and 57th, respectively. Baggarly shot 7 over in the first round and 3 over in the second round to close her score off at 10 over. Tomlinson improved her score drastically between rounds, going from 12 over to 3 over.

Last for the Gators was Lauren Waidner. The freshman from Jacksonville, Florida, finished in sole possession of 66th place with a 21 over (13 over in the first round, 8 over in the second).

One source of optimism for the team could be its dramatic improvement between rounds. In the first round, the Gators shot 27 over. In the second, it shot 3 over. Had it shot the same score in the first round as it did in the second, UF would be in fourth place.

“I’m happy to see us rebound and post a solid round in the afternoon,” coach Emily Glaser said in a release. “That was very important to see.”

The Gators close play on Saturday at 9:38 a.m.

Follow Chris O'Brien on Twitter @THEChrisOB and contact him at cobrien@alligator.org.