The ranking in the final and most important golf tournament of the year is crucial. But for the Gators, their ranking hasn’t changed yet.

No. 16 Florida improved its team score but stayed stagnant in its tie for 16th place at the four-day NCAA Women’s Golf Championship in Tulsa, Okla.

The Gators shot 292 (+12), 13 strokes better than their round one score. They have now shot 597 (+37) through two rounds at the par-70 Tulsa Country Club.

No. 10 Oklahoma also retained its first-place ranking with a cumulative score of 575 (+15) and is three strokes ahead of second-place Duke. Sooner Alexandra Kaui leads in the individual race with a five-under-par 135 score.

Florida’s Southeastern Conference counterparts No. 24 Mississippi State, No. 12 Alabama and No. 11 Vanderbilt all rank ahead of UF in the tournament at eighth, tied for 11th and 14th place respectively. No. 8 South Carolina, which is in 20th place, trails the rest of the SEC teams.

Sarah Schober continued to lead the Gators in the second round, improving one stroke from Tuesday. She has shot 74 and 73 in the two rounds, bringing her to a 147 (+7) total and a tie for 38th place. Schober made a team-best six birdies in the second round, adding to the one she made in the first.

Camilla Hedberg and Elcin Ulu sit close behind Schober, and both improved on their round one scores. Hedberg has shot rounds of 76 and 72, totaling 148 (+8), while Ulu scored 76 and 73 en route to a 149 (+9) total. Hedberg is tied for 43rd place and Ulu for 50th.

Maria Torres shares a spot for 82nd place halfway through the tournament. She shaved five strokes off her round one score of 79 and has shot 153 (+13) over the two rounds.

Karolina Vlckova rounded out the five-person Gator lineup in a tie for 112th place out of 126 competitors. She shot consecutive 79s in the two rounds, totaling 158 (+18).

Round three begins today at 8:30 a.m. Florida has two rounds of 18 holes each remaining to improve on its ranking and have a shot at its third national championship.

Follow Layne Weitzel on Twitter @laynejweitzel