<p>Maria Torres hits the ball during the SunTrust Gator Women's Golf Invitational on March 15.</p>

Maria Torres hits the ball during the SunTrust Gator Women's Golf Invitational on March 15.

Maria Torres found success as a freshman.

In her first year with the UF women’s golf team, Torres finished second on Florida’s roster with a 74.1 stroke average while ending nine of her 33 rounds even or under par.

She recorded two top-five finishes — ending the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate Championship in a tie for third by hitting a 6-under-210 and tying for fifth at the Southeastern Conference Championships with a 3-over-219 — and landed a spot on the SEC All-Freshman team.

Coach Emily Glaser said she has seen strides in Torres’ play but does not want the now-sophomore to rush her progression.

"Just like with all of our players, it’s the process of getting there that’s more important," Glaser said.

And so far this season, Torres has been successful in adjusting to the process.

In Florida’s three-tournament Fall season, the Puerto Rico native recorded a team-low 73.5 stroke average.

In UF’s final tournament of the Fall — a ninth-place finish at The Landfall Tradition — Torres finished with an even-par-216 to finish tied for 11th place, UF’s highest individual finish.

And with the Spring season starting on Monday with the Florida Challenge, Glaser said the best is yet to come.

"Maria definitely has the talent to improve," Glaser said.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126