With the dissolution of the American Lacrosse Conference, Florida is moving to the Big East.

It was announced Thursday that Florida would be joining the Big East for the 2015 season after much debate about where the Gators would land at the end of the 2014 season.

The Gators spent five seasons in the ALC since the program started in 2010.

“We’re very excited for this next step for Florida lacrosse,” coach Amanda O’Leary said in a release. “We enjoyed the high level of competition in the ALC, and are looking forward to the new challenges the Big East will provide.

“We’ve built a legacy of success during our first five years and that’s something we look to continue while competing in the Big East.”

Florida and rival Vanderbilt will be moving to the conference together. The two teams join Cincinnati, Connecticut, Georgetown, Marquette, Temple and Villanova to round out the conference with eight teams.

With the move, Florida faces the challenge of playing stronger competitors.

The Gators finished 2014 with a 18-3 record and completed the season as ALC regular season and tournament champions. In five seasons in the ALC, UF racked up four straight ALC regular-season titles, brought home two ALC tournament titles and made four straight NCAA Quarterfinals appearances.

“We’re excited to welcome Florida and Vanderbilt as affiliate members of the Big East Conference,” said Chris Schneider, Big East Associate Commissioner for Olympic Sports. “Both programs have proven histories of success and will reinforce the strength and high level of play Big East women’s lacrosse is known for.”

Follow Eden Otero on Twitter @edenotero_l