The No. 7 Florida lacrosse team was picked to win its second consecutive Big East title in the 2016 Preseason Coaches’ Poll, announced by the conference Wednesday afternoon.

The Gators garnered 46 total points in the poll, getting six of the eight total first-place votes. No. 24 Connecticut, which received 44 total points in the preseason poll, lost to Florida in the 2015 Big East Tournament title game and will play the Gators to close out its 2016 regular season conference schedule.

Florida notched a Big East-leading five selections in the preseason all-conference team, including three of the nine total unanimous selections.

Senior attacker Devon Schneider, junior midfielder Mollie Stevens and junior defender Caroline Fitzgerald were the Gators’ unanimous selections, with junior attacker Sammi Burgess and junior defender Taylor Bresnahan rounding out the rest of the Florida preseason All-Big East representatives.

Stevens, Schneider and Burgess are three of the top four leading point scorers from last season who are currently on the UF roster.

The Gators kick off their regular season with a Feb. 6 home match against Loyola at noon and begin Big East conference play in Gainesville on March 26 against Vanderbilt at noon.

Contact Kyle Brutman at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @KBrut13.

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.