Florida lacrosse beats England in exhibition

<p>Freshman Lauren Lea (1) chases the ball with teammate Gabi Wiegand (35) during Florida’s 18-13 exhibition win against England on Thursday night at Dizney Stadium.</p>

Freshman Lauren Lea (1) chases the ball with teammate Gabi Wiegand (35) during Florida’s 18-13 exhibition win against England on Thursday night at Dizney Stadium.

Florida’s first time on the field in 2013 was more than an exhibition for freshman Lauren Lea.

Since she was 10 years old and watched the Gators football team play on television, Lea has yearned to suit up for Florida. On Thursday night, the moment arrived.

“It felt so great to finally put on the Gator uniform,” Lea said. “Watching these girls the last three years and seeing how far they went, it was actually an honor to put on this uniform.”

Lea and Florida took down the English national team 18-13 at Dizney Stadium in its lone exhibition before the start of the 2013 season.

Gators coach Amanda O’Leary said capitalizing on only 18 of 38 shots doesn’t worry her because she is confident her team will pull it together offensively.

“There were glimpses of brilliance, and we had some goals that I was in awe,” O’Leary said. “We have so many quality players, which makes us deep, and that’s a positive. I think we are right where we need to be.” 

One of those offensive stars tonight was senior attacker Ashley Bruns, who racked up a game-high five goals and two assists Thursday night. The senior admired how the freshmen began their college lacrosse careers.

“The freshmen are amazing, and we got people out there like [Lea] who can take care of the ball and finish their shots,” Bruns said. “We are really lucky as a team to have these freshmen here with us.”

Lea has looked up to the seniors since she arrived at Florida. She is thankful for how they have eased the freshman class’s transition from high school to college.

“The seniors have taken me in and have made me comfortable to play with them,” Lea said. “To actually get in and play was amazing, and I hope to continue to play and learn from these seniors.”

Lea scored two goals and recorded an assist in her UF debut. Her first goal as a Gator came on a rebound.

Off of an 8-meter shot, senior Gabi Wiegand shot the ball high, and it bounced off of England goalie Sally Keogh’s stick. Lea locked her eyes on to the ball and put her stick in the air.

Though Keogh jumped higher, Lea used her stick to bat the ball into the net.

“I was like ‘Yes!’” Lea said. “First goal as a Gator.”

O’Leary wasn’t surprised at all by the freshman’s play.

“You never have to yell at [Lea]; she is harder on herself than anybody could possibly be,” O’Leary said. “So with her, it’s a matter of telling her to go out there and have fun because she always wants to be perfect.”