<p>Four-star running back Derrell Scott is interviewed by reporters after choosing Tennessee over Florida.</p>

Four-star running back Derrell Scott is interviewed by reporters after choosing Tennessee over Florida.

Four-star running back Derrell Scott, a 2014 prospect out of Havelock, N.C., announced his verbal commitment to Tennessee on Monday afternoon.

Scott chose Tennessee over Florida and South Carolina after taking an official visit to Gainesville last weekend.

He took his official visit to Knoxville, Tenn., in Oct. 2013.

Volunteers coach Butch Jones has put together a strong recruiting class after his first season, during which Tennessee struggled and finished with a 5-7 record.

Before Scott’s commitment, the Vols had the No. 4 class in the country, according to Rivals.com.

Scott’s addition to the 2014 class keeps Tennessee sitting pretty in that spot behind Alabama, Ohio State and Texas A&M.

The Volunteers are in need of playmakers at running back, as they lost their leading rusher, Rajion Neal, to graduation.

Neal rushed for 1,124 yards last season — 42 of which came against the Gators on Sept. 21, 2013 — and averaged four yards per reception during his senior season.

Scott will join senior Marlon Lane, who saw action in 11 games last season, and redshirt senior Deanthonie Summerhill in the Vols’ backfield in 2014.

Scott is talented enough to contribute early. During his career at Havelock (N.C.) High, he recorded more than 6,000 yards rushing and 88 touchdowns.

Tennessee finished 2013 ranked just ninth overall in rushing offense in the Southeastern Conference, averaging only 188.4 yards per game under first-year offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian.

Former UF running back Robert Gillespie is in his second year as the running backs coach with the Volunteers.

His resume includes stints at South Carolina, Oklahoma State and West Virginia. Gillespie was Scott’s primary recruiter.

Scott is the seventh-ranked back in North Carolina. With the loss of a tailback like Neal and his impressive skill set, Scott in a very good position to be utilized in Bajakian’s system early.

After a finishing sixth in the SEC East last season, Tennessee will take all the help it can get.

With Scott choosing to play for the Volunteers, the Gators have only one tailback in their 2014 recruiting class — four-star early enrollee Brandon Powell. Florida currently has seven scholarship running backs on its roster.

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @Morgan_Moriarty