Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Former Georgia soccer player now a key component for UF

<p>Gabby Seiler (38) celebrates with teammates during Florida's 3-2 win over UCF on Sept. 18 at James G. Pressly Stadium.</p>

Gabby Seiler (38) celebrates with teammates during Florida's 3-2 win over UCF on Sept. 18 at James G. Pressly Stadium.

Two years ago, Gabby Seiler was a Georgia Bulldog.

Last year, she spent the season sitting on the bench after NCAA transfer rules kept her from playing for a year.

Now, the redshirt junior has started all 10 games as a midfielder for the Gators and has become a big part of their offensive attack this season.

“Her experience is a huge help,” UF coach Becky Burleigh said on Wednesday. “And she got to train with us all last year so that helped in terms of developing cohesion with people on our team.”

During her sophomore season in Athens, Seiler led her team with nine goals and nine assists for 27 points and ranked in the top five in the Southeastern Conference in goals.

This season, she is trying to pick up where she left off with some help from her teammates.

“(The transition) has been really easy. My teammates have made it really easy,” Seiler said.

“They kind of make me feel like I have already been playing with them since they’ve been there.”

But her transition has also changed her game and her style of play.

While she might have been the go-to player on offense at Georgia, she now plays with senior forward Savannah Jordan, the clear leader of Florida’s team.

Jordan leads the team in points, goals, assists and shots.

Seiler, however, has still had a big impact on the Gators' success so far, even if her role might be different than what she’s used to.

She ranks second on the team in shots (24) and is tied for fourth in assists (two).

On the road at Kentucky on Sept. 8, she scored her first goal in a Florida uniform, her only one of the season so far.

“I love playing with her. I know in the midfield, everyone loves playing with her,” sophomore midfielder Sarah Troccoli said. “And she is so dynamic. You know, we have been putting her in the backline, too. It’s really cool to play with someone like that.”

Seiler and the Gators, who are coming off a 2-0 win against Tennessee on Sunday, are focusing on their next SEC opponent, LSU, who they play on the road on Friday.

“I think offensively, they are pretty strong,” Seiler said.

“I know they haven’t had the best start to their season, but every team in the SEC is pretty competitive and everyone seems to play their best against us. They know that Florida is a huge target.”

Contact Lauren Staff at lstaff@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @lstaff27.