<p>UF defender Christen Westphal dribbles the ball during Florida's 3-2 win against Florida State on Aug. 30, 2015, at James G. Pressly stadium.</p>

UF defender Christen Westphal dribbles the ball during Florida's 3-2 win against Florida State on Aug. 30, 2015, at James G. Pressly stadium.

For the Florida soccer team, the offense has received the bulk of the attention that has been placed on a squad that conquered previously top-ranked Florida State on Sunday.

After starting the regular season with just two goals in as many games, the No. 8 Gators broke out to score seven combined goals against Miami and the Seminoles — six of which were either scored or assisted by a freshman.

The UF defense, however, has been just as stellar.

Led by seniors Christen Westphal and Claire Falknor, Florida’s back line has allowed just 1.25 goals-per-game in four regular season matches.

With the departure of key players such as Havana Solaun and Annie Speese, Westphal and Falknor — both part of the U.S. U-23 National Team over the summer — have stepped up as vocal leaders in the locker room thus far in 2015.

The two defenders spoke out during halftime of the team’s game at Miami earlier in the season. The teams were tied at 0-0 after 45 minutes of play.

Falknor felt that the team was being outworked, and that they were better than what they showed in the first half.

"I was just really frustrated because I knew that these freshmen, and this team in general, had a lot more potential than what they were showing," Falknor said.

"It was time for me to tell them, you know, ‘I trust in you, it’s okay we make mistakes, we will have your back,’ and just go out there and make the most of the night."

The loss of two key defenders and four-year starting goalkeeper Taylor Burke opened up three spots in the defense that needed to be filled.

Both wingback positions were up for grabs during the offseason, with redshirt sophomore Kristen Cardano receiving the bulk of the work on the right side and the freshmen trio of Gaby Rivera, Rachelle Smith and Sara Wilson contributing on the left side.

"From the beginning of the year until now, they’ve progressed in their ability to understand what we’re trying to get out of that position," coach Becky Burleigh said.

Taking over the goalkeeper spot for the departed Burke is redshirt junior Valerie Tysinger.

Before this year, the Daytona Beach native had not made a start as a Gator, having played in just nine total games in her first two years on the team—redshirting during the 2013 season.

Despite a lack of playing time, Tysinger established herself as a leader from the sidelines.

"She’s a good communicator, and she’s a person you could put your trust into," Falknor said.

Tysinger’s role on the bench as an underclassman has quickly translated to her becoming a leader of the defense even more so, as the nature of the goalkeeper position tends to require the player to have a voice and direct the back line.

She is known as a selfless player, doing everything she can to help her teammates succeed, both on and off the field.

"She’s just such a servant leader," Burleigh said.

"She puts the needs of other people in front of herself."

Follow Kyle Brutman on Twitter @KBrut13