<p>Havana Solaun kicks the ball during Florida's 3-2 win against Texas Tech at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.</p>

Havana Solaun kicks the ball during Florida's 3-2 win against Texas Tech at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.

As its competition rapidly improves, Florida isn’t shying away. In fact, the Gators could be playing some of their best soccer of the season.

In what was almost a spitting image of the team’s second-round win on Friday, No. 2-seed Florida defeated the third-seed Texas Tech 3-2 on Sunday in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

Florida scored two goals in the first 21 minutes of the match to jump on top of Texas Tech early, but the Red Raiders roared back to even the game at two goals apiece in the 64th minute.

Much like Florida’s win on Friday night against Cal, Sunday’s game was competitive and intense until the final whistle.

Senior Annie Speese was the one to break the tie with a strong shot into the upper right corner of the net past a diving goalkeeper in the 81st minute.

Nine minutes later, the Gators advanced to the Elite Eight.

"It’s kind of a blur," Speese said after the win, about remembering her game-winning goal.

"I just took the shot and I think time stood still for a little bit, and then when it went in we were just all so excited."

Senior Havana Solaun scored Florida’s first goal on Sunday with a strong shot from 20 yards out in the 14th minute.

Sophomore Savannah Jordan then headed in a free kick by Speese in the 21st minute to give the Gators their early two-goal lead.

Solaun, Jordan and Speese have been powering Florida through the NCAA Tournament, scoring all nine of the Gators’ goals in the three wins.

But the team as a whole is playing as strong as it has all year, maybe stronger.

The high level of play and production from the Florida offense, and defense, in the tournament may be a product of the team’s "play green" mentality.

Green means go, and the team has worn green sweat bands on their wrists in the last few games to remind them not to slow down or give up.

"Just get after it, no regrets," coach Becky Burleigh said.

"We’re still playing smart, but we’re gonna be aggressive and we’re just gonna leave it all on the field."

But despite the impressive soccer that Florida is currently playing at, the production on offense and the opportunity to now advance to the Final Four, Burleigh is happier about something else.

"I told (the team) I was really, really excited to coach them in another game," Burleigh said. "It’s a group…they just like being together.

"They like to work for each other and play hard for each other, and you just want to see that get rewarded because you just can feel how much they love one another and want this to keep going."

Follow Alex Maminakis on Twitter @AlexMaminakis