Florida soccer faces Tennessee tonight in final home game of regular season

<p>Meggie Dougherty Howard prepares to head a ball during Florida's 3-1 win against Missouri.</p>

Meggie Dougherty Howard prepares to head a ball during Florida's 3-1 win against Missouri.

Coming off back-to-back losses is a challenge the Gators haven’t faced all season, but it’s what they are tasked with heading into tonight’s contest against the Volunteers.

Following two-straight losses in a four-day span, No. 8 Florida (11-4, 6-2 Southeastern Conference) plays host to Tennessee (7-8-1, 2-5-1 SEC) in what has become a critical match for the Gators’ hopes of reclaiming the top spot in the SEC standings.

It will also be senior night for Florida, which will honor it’s nine graduating players in a ceremony before the game.

Given those factors, the Gators have had all the incentive they need this week leading up to the game, and both the seniors and underclassmen say they’re extra motivated to move past the difficult weekend and get a win.

"We’re all really excited, motivated...I think we’re all just gonna go in there and play hard for them (the seniors) and for our team," sophomore Meggie Dougherty-Howard said.

"I definitely think it’s gonna be an emotional night," said Annie Bobbitt, one of the seniors who will be honored before the game. "The emotion’s gonna be there and I think it’s gonna drive us."

Even with all the emotion, UF coach Becky Burleigh said she has no plans to give the seniors any extra playing time Friday, due to the significance of the match at this point in Florida’s season.

She also said the biggest obstacle the Gators will face Friday won’t be the Volunteers, but rather handling the adversity of the two losses and responding in the right way.

"I think the biggest challenge is how do we rebound from a two-loss weekend, we haven’t done that all year," she said. "That’s the challenge, not so much Tennessee."

But Burleigh did say she expects the Volunteers to come into Gainesville playing with desperation, and Florida needs to be prepared.

"I think Tennessee is really in need of a win, so they’re gonna be coming out as hard as possible and ready to play," she said. "We’re expecting a tough one."

Tennessee does need a win badly, having gone 1-3-1 in its last five matches.

The Volunteers play a defensive brand of soccer, holding opponents to one goal per game on average, and have also amassed 17 yellow cards on the season.

The struggle for Tennessee, though, has been on offense, scoring only 23 goals on the season.

But as Kentucky showed Sunday, a defensive, physical style can give Florida problems.

Follow Graham Hack on Twitter @graham_hack24