Gators emphasize improved attack before two-game road trip

<p>Midfielder McKenzie Barney said the Gators are focusing on improving their mental approach on offense after a 3-2 loss to FSU on Friday. The team has been working against 12 defenders in practice.</p>

Midfielder McKenzie Barney said the Gators are focusing on improving their mental approach on offense after a 3-2 loss to FSU on Friday. The team has been working against 12 defenders in practice.

As the Gators head west for their second consecutive two-game weekend, they are hoping the trip resembles only the second half of their last pair of outings.

No. 9 Florida lost a hard-fought match against No. 3 Florida State last Friday, in a game plagued by a sluggish opening 42 minutes on offense.

The squad was able to ramp up its attack for a quick start on Sunday against Florida Gulf Coast, as UF scored three goals in the first 24 minutes.

With a renewed sense of confidence, Florida (5-2) now travels to the Midwest to take on Missouri (7-1) tonight in Columbia, Mo., and Kansas (6-2) on Sunday in Lawrence, Kan.

Gators redshirt junior midfielder McKenzie Barney said the team has already put last weekend behind it. This week, Barney said UF has worked on imposing its style of play on the opponent.

"Mostly mentality is what we are focusing on," said Barney. "Making sure that we can be that strong Florida team that we know we can, so that means playing simple and smooth offensively and getting after it defensively."

In order to avoid a slow start tonight, Barney said the team has placed a heavy emphasis on its attacking flow.

Gators coach Becky Burleigh said the team has also implemented a new drill in practice to improve the attack.

"I just think we need to have a little more consistency in our ability to possess the ball under pressure," Burleigh said.

"To that end, we'll train against 12 players instead of 11 just to make it harder. The more pressure we can face and be successful against, the better we'll be when we play in regular games."

Missouri, winner of seven in a row, is a team Burleigh said will be a tough test.

"They are 100 miles per hour," she said. "They are playing at home. It's a Friday night. It's going to be a barnburner."

Off-day plans: On Saturday, the Gators will get to see three former Florida players in action as the U.S. women's national team takes on Canada in Kansas City.

Heather Mitts (1996-1999) and Abby Wambach (1998-2001) will take the field for the U.S. against another former Gator, Melanie Booth (2003-2007).

"The fact that we get to do that is amazing," said UF forward Erika Tymrak. "Not only do we get to play two games this weekend but we get to see the national team play. It should be an amazing weekend."