<p>Florida senior forward Jillian Graff fights for possession with two Miami players during the Gators' 3-0 win against the Hurricanes on Friday night at James G. Pressly Stadium. Graff scored the first two goals of the match.</p>

Florida senior forward Jillian Graff fights for possession with two Miami players during the Gators' 3-0 win against the Hurricanes on Friday night at James G. Pressly Stadium. Graff scored the first two goals of the match.

A one-hour thunderstorm delayed the season opener between in-state rivals Florida and Miami, but it couldn’t prevent the Gators’ fourth-fastest goal in program history.

In the eighth minute, senior forward Jillian Graff snuck in No. 8 Florida’s (1-0) first goal of the season pass Miami (0-1) goalkeeper Emily Lillard for a 1-0 early lead.

The Gators would hold onto their lead to finish their season debut with a 3-0 victory.

Graff would then match her goal total of two from last season finding the left corner of the net for the second goal of the match in the 65th minute. Graff’s goal was assisted by senior midfielder Havana Solaun, who found Graff near the six-yard line.

The Medina, Ohio native came into the match starting in place of forward Savannah Jordan, who was Florida’s leading goal scorer last season.

"We’ve been working as a team on offense during preseason, and that was able to carry over and it showed with the shots on goal," Graff said. "We were really attacking hard and going after it as a team."

Graff’s two goals was the senior’s first-ever double-goal match of her career and was part of the Gators total of 19 shots on goal compared to Miami’s two.

Graff said with it being her senior season she kept in mind for it to be enjoyable and believes with past Florida teams always supporting the club, it can’t get better.

A Gator victory couldn’t have come without at least a goal for Jordan. The star sophomore continued her Florida career scoring more goals adding the third goal of the night for the Gators undoubtedly securing the victory.

Jordan’s goal came in 69th minute unassisted as she pocketed the ball in the right-hand corner of the net, marking her 23rd career goal in a Gators uniform.

Not only did the Gators dominate on offense, but their defense was also exceptional in shutting down the Hurricanes.

“For us to do the things we did offensively in terms of our possession and then what I really liked was when we defended as a team,” coach Becky Burleigh said. “We double and triple teamed a lot, which contributed to them turning the ball over and giving us an opportunity to get the ball higher up the field.”

Florida marked the sixth consecutive year beginning the season against an in-state rival, and it’s the fifth time since 2009 UF has opened against UM.

The Gators now own a 6-2 record in the overall series, which includes a 4-1 record over the past four seasons.

While Florida showcased offensive prowess, Burleigh wants to see her team convert more of its shots into goals moving forward.

“We could’ve been a little sharper on our ability to finish,” Burleigh said, “but at the same time, this is just Game 1 and we just have to keep growing from here.”

Follow Lawrence Laguna on Twitter @LagunaLawrence