Battle-tested Gators present problems for opponents

<p>UF midfielder Briana Solis takes a shot during Florida's 5-2 win against Iowa State on Aug. 19, 2016, at James G. Pressly Stadium.</p>

UF midfielder Briana Solis takes a shot during Florida's 5-2 win against Iowa State on Aug. 19, 2016, at James G. Pressly Stadium.

It has been a mere 25 days since the Gators last played in front of their home crowd at James G. Pressly Stadium.

And during that time, No. 4 Florida (5-1, 1-0 SEC) has become a battle-tested and experienced team.

The Gators have played four consecutive road matches, including two top-15 opponents in then-No. 3 Stanford and then-No. 15 UCLA.

They have played three overtime games, including a double-overtime thriller against Kentucky on Sept. 8, which opened up their Southeastern Conference schedule.

They even had a game against then-No.1 Florida State that was canceled due to severe weather.

But that has only brought the team closer together.

“I think this year, this is the best chemistry we have had so far,” sophomore midfielder Briana Solis said on Wednesday.

“We all just have fun every day at practices. Encourage each other. We are just always positive. I think that is the biggest thing — positivity.”

Playing the best teams in the country has transformed Florida into an offensive powerhouse that presents issues to every team it faces.

“Everyone was kind of scared about our schedule because we had a super hard schedule,” redshirt junior Kristen Cardano said.

“But I think it worked in our benefit because we have played some of the top teams and we played very well... I think that we will definitely be able to hold it down.”

But the Gators are not done being tested on the road yet.

After an eight-day break, Florida travels to Fayetteville, Arkansas, on Friday to take on the Razorbacks, another tough SEC opponent, to cap off its five-game road trip.

The last time the Razorbacks (7-1, 1-0 SEC) played in Gainesville was 2015 when they lost 4-0.

It was also the game where Solis scored her first and only collegiate goal.

“I remember Kaylan (Marckese) throwing me the ball and just running my butt off for 80 yards,” Solis said.

After Arkansas, Florida plays at home on Sunday against UCF for the first time in five games.

The schedule doesn’t get any easier for the Gators as they get into the thick of their SEC competition.

But instead of complaining, players and coaches are embracing the adversity.

“The schedule has been excellent, we have had really good competition. We have seen a real variety of styles,” coach Becky Burleigh said.

“We have dealt with a lot of adversity in our travel, which can only make us stronger. I don’t think it’s a bad thing.”

Contact Lauren Staff at lstaff@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @lstaff27.