<p>Annie Speese (13) dribbles the ball down the field during Florida's 2-0 win against South Florida on Sunday at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Speese scored both of UF's goals.</p>

Annie Speese (13) dribbles the ball down the field during Florida's 2-0 win against South Florida on Sunday at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Speese scored both of UF's goals.

Despite back-to-back weather delayed games, eighth-ranked Florida completed the sweep of their pair of weekend in-state rivalry matches, defeating South Florida 2-0 on Sunday.

The last time UF (2-0) and USF (0-2) faced each other, the game ended in a 1-1 tie that went into double overtime. Sunday’s game was almost as evenly matched throughout the first half, despite Florida having five shots and South Florida having none.

Perhaps what gave the Gators the push they needed was the one hour and forty minute rain delay that came early in the second half.

"I do think we are the veterans of rain delay now," Florida coach Becky Burleigh said.

"We got into a little bit of a funk there in the beginning of the second half, before the rain delay, where we sort of just lost our way a little bit. And then when we had a chance to regroup and get back to the plan, we were fine."

The Gators were a bit more than fine following the long delay.

They came out ready to play and ready to make up for what they lacked in the first half.

Florida’s first goal came in the 67th minute when the ball found the feet of senior midfielder Annie Speese inside the 18-yard box off a pass from sophomore midfielder Liz Slattery.

The Augusta, Ga., native then recorded her second goal in the 84th minute when she finished another cross sent perfectly from the outside, making it Speese’s fifth double-goal match of her collegiate career.

"It was just execution," Speese said. "Tessa [Andujar] and Lauren [Smith] were working them down the end line the whole game and we finally got on the end of a couple of their crosses."

Speese’s second goal also came on the advantage of USF playing down a man because of a red card issued to junior defender Diana Saenz.

Her ejection gave the Gators an 11-on-10 advantage, which they then exploited.

The Gators continued to create opportunities for themselves on offense, taking six shots on goal against the Bulls as well as eight in their game on Friday against Miami.

"I thought we really did a great job today of having good numbers in the box," Burleigh said. "We have to still get better at our execution of services and our ability to receive the service."

Not to be overlooked by the offense is the Florida defense.

The Gators finished the weekend with two shutout victories, thanks to the strong play from the Florida back line. Senior defender Tessa Andujar, who also recorded an assist in Sunday’s win, has been an important piece of that defense.

"We’re working really hard in practice on defense," Andujar said. "We just communicate a lot. We know where each other goes and communication is the best thing to do in our defense."

Florida emerges from their first weekend of games with a 2-0 record and a strong start to their season.

"It’s great," Speese said. "But, obviously, it’s two games in. It’s a long season, so we’re just going to go to practice this week and watch some film, see what we need to work on and keep moving forward from here."

Follow Alex Maminakis on Twitter at @alexmaminakis