<p>Senior midfielder Havana Solaun kicks the ball during Florida's 5-1 win against Mississippi State.</p>

Senior midfielder Havana Solaun kicks the ball during Florida's 5-1 win against Mississippi State.

A second-half comeback wasn’t enough to make up for a disappointing first half as No. 5 Florida fell to South Carolina in a heartbreaker on Thursday night.

The Gators (11-3, 6-1 Southeastern Conference) dropped their first conference match of the season, losing 3-2 to the Gamecocks (10-4-1, 3-3-1 SEC) in Columbia, S.C. The loss was the Gators’ first since Sept. 12, ending a seven-game winning streak.

Throughout the game, Florida struggled with maintaining possession. It gave away numerous unforced errors, especially in the defensive half, which led to South Carolina’s first two goals.

Sophomore midfielder Chelsea Drennan put in the first goal for the Gamecocks — her third of the season — in just the second minute of the match. Freshman midfielder Savannah McCaskill added another goal in the 34th minute, increasing the lead to two goals — the largest deficit that Florida has faced all season.

The Gators have struggled with giving up early goals as of late, which is something coach Becky Burleigh would like to see change.

"A little bit concerned about the early goal, we just gotta come out better, ready to play," Burleigh said. "That’s just a mental preparation thing I think."

Florida knew heading into the match with South Carolina that it wouldn’t be an easy game by any means.

Coming into the game, the Gamecocks led the SEC with only six goals allowed. Their senior goalkeeper Sabrina D’Angelo and their defensive line are having a season to remember.

Havana Solaun wanted to do something about that.

In the 66th minute, Solaun put Florida on the board with a bullet into the upper 90, her third goal of her senior season.

And she wasn’t done.

Solaun then tied the match with an 85th minute goal to surely give Florida the draw and send Carolina home disappointed.

"I was always glad to see Havana shoot because it’s something we keep encouraging her to do," Burleigh said. "She certainly made an impact with those two shots. Those were awesome."

But just minutes later, in the 89th minute of the 90-minute match, McCaskill finished a header off of a corner kick and gave South Carolina the 3-2 lead with only a minute left.

On Thursday night, it was South Carolina’s Savannah that turned out to be the hero, not Florida’s.

"One game, no matter win, loss, whatever, doesn’t define our season," Burleigh said. "I think our team will show some resilience in this loss because they’re a mature team and they’re gonna grow from this, I’m very confident of that."

Follow Alex Maminakis on Twitter @AlexMaminakis