After two straight wins, No. 6 Florida faces first real test

<p>UF midfielder Sarah Troccoli dribbles past an Iowa State defender during Florida's 5-2 win against Iowa State on Aug. 19, 2016, at James G. Pressly Stadium.</p>

UF midfielder Sarah Troccoli dribbles past an Iowa State defender during Florida's 5-2 win against Iowa State on Aug. 19, 2016, at James G. Pressly Stadium.

The last time Florida played Stanford in the 2014 NCAA quarterfinals, the game ended in a 2-2 tie and came down to a penalty kick decision.

Stanford advanced by a score of 4-3 and knocked Florida out of the playoffs.

It won’t be any easier this time.

Tonight, the No. 6 Gators take on No. 3-ranked Stanford Cardinal in Palo Alto, California, for the first time in nearly two years.

The match kicks off a six-game road trip for the Gators, one that includes three top-25 matchups, including games against No. 1 Florida State and No. 15 UCLA.

But before they can worry about that, the Gators have to get through the Cardinal.

“They’re always a really good team,” sophomore Sarah Troccoli said. “It’s always been really great competition so I’m excited.”

The Gators (2-0) have to deal with a three-hour time change and the fatigue that comes with traveling across the country and playing a top-three team on the road. Stanford (2-0-0) won its first two games against Navy and Georgetown, which were both on the road.

“It’s always tiring traveling, especially to California,” Troccoli said. “But it’s sort of an exciting environment to play in because people don’t necessarily want you there, so it can kind of fuel you.”

Senior forward Savannah Jordan, this week’s Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Week, has brought Florida’s offense to life by scoring a goal in each of the first two games.

But the defense has yet to be tested against a quality opponent, and the Gators gave up two goals in their opening match against Iowa State.

“I think we have had some really good offensive production. I don’t think we have been tested enough yet to see what we look like defensively,” coach Becky Burleigh said. “So I think this weekend will help provide that.”

This top-10 matchup starts at 11 p.m. eastern and will air on the Pac-12 Network.

“Talent-wise we are equally good,” sophomore Melanie Monteagudo said. “Obviously we don’t have our fans, but we still bring a great bench atmosphere… We still get it done.”

Contact Lauren Staff at lstaff@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @lstaff27.