<p>UF pitcher Aleshia Ocasio throws a pitch during Florida's 9-3 win against Northwestern State on Feb. 17, 2017, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.&nbsp;</p>

UF pitcher Aleshia Ocasio throws a pitch during Florida's 9-3 win against Northwestern State on Feb. 17, 2017, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. 

Jordan Roberts started back to home plate.

The ball she slammed deep to right field looked to cross over the foul line before sailing over the fence. But after a lengthy pause filled with confusion, the home plate umpire called the ball fair, giving the freshman catcher her first career grand slam and sending USF coach Ken Eriksen down the first-base line in rage.

The Gators used that grand slam and subsequent five-run third inning to shut out a sloppy USF team that collapsed after five frames, 8-0.

Florida (27-1, 5-0 SEC) used strong defense and a couple great catches to fire up the team.

In the top of the third inning, USF right fielder AnaMarie Bruni cranked a foul ball to the left. What looked like a near impossible ball to catch found the glove of freshman shortstop Sophia Reynoso.

Her diving catch inspired the team’s offense, which ripped off five runs in the bottom half of the inning.

“I think you saw the excitement level, not only from her making the play... but the whole defense itself,” coach Tim Walton said.

By the time the third inning was over, the Gators had a commanding six-run advantage.

Florida pitcher Aleshia Ocasio, meanwhile, tossed another scoreless performance and earned her fifth victory on the season. The junior only allowed two hits in her five innings.

“Aleshia, she’s just a strike thrower,” Walton said. “I think we do take a lot of pride in how we do things on defense. We’re not just trying to make routine plays routine, but also special plays routine as well.”

No USF player reached third base until the final inning. And while Ocasio only struck out four batters, the Bulls couldn’t find a break in Florida’s outfield.

Senior Justine McLean and sophomore Amanda Lorenz both had multi-hit games, and Hoover scored twice for the Gators.

Heading into a matchup with SEC powerhouse Auburn, the Gators hope to use this game as momentum against a strong opponent.

“To me, it’s all about the time and preparation it takes to face an SEC opponent,” Walton said. “I’m excited the way we came out and played today. We brought our A-game.”

The Gators are currently perfect in SEC play with sweeps against Missouri and South Carolina.

Florida starts its series with Auburn on March 25 at 6 p.m. in Gainesville.

Contact Skyler Lebron at Slebron@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @SkylerLebron.