<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Junior third baseman Stephanie Tofft swings during Florida’s 4-2 win against Mississippi State on April 6 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.&nbsp;</span></p>

Junior third baseman Stephanie Tofft swings during Florida’s 4-2 win against Mississippi State on April 6 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. 

Stephanie Tofft just needed one pitch to lift Florida over Texas A&M in the teams’ series opener on Friday.

With Kirsti Merritt on base in the top of the first inning, Tofft hit a two-run home run to left-center field off the first pitch Aggies right-hander Rachel Fox threw her way.

No. 5 UF (38-8, 9-7 Southeastern Conference) held on to the lead to open up the series with a 5-1 win over TAMU (29-15, 9-10 SEC) in College Station, Texas. The victory is Florida’s seventh-straight win.

“This was a great win for our program tonight,” coach Tim Walton said in a release. “It’s a tough place to play, and we had a tough day yesterday getting here. I was really excited about the way we came out. We’re making strides, and I can definitely see improvements. Our players are getting better.”

Tofft finished 2 for 3 at the plate on Friday for her ninth multi-hit game of the season. Her two first-inning RBIs gave her the sole lead for multiple RBI games with 13.

Texas A&M cut Florida’s lead in half in the bottom of the third inning. After senior right fielder Cassie Tysarczyk drew a walk on five pitches and Nicole Morgan hit a single to left field, designated player Amber Garza ripped a double down the left field line to score Tysarczyk.

But the Gators rallied with a three-run fifth frame. Outfielder Briana Little scored two on a double to right-center field, and the third run came in after a fielding error by Fox. Seven of UF’s starters recorded a hit in the win, with sophomore first baseman Taylor Schwarz extending her on-base streak to 10 games.

The Aggies had the chance to win it all in the seventh.

But with the bases loaded and just one out, UF turned its 17th double play of the season to secure the victory.

Hannah Rogers pitched her 14th complete game of the year, extending her career total to 124. The senior right-hander gave up seven hits and one earned run while striking out three.

“She was really poised,” Walton said. “I could see that in the seventh inning. I don’t know that I had to tell her that the tying run was up at the plate in a pretty good hitter. She got her to get out in front on a pitch and induce the double play with the bases loaded. Give our infield credit, too, because a lot of teams are trying to cut runs off there. Our infield was talking—they wanted to turn that double play, and sure enough, she induced it.”

Game 2 is set to begin at 6 p.m.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126