<p>Aleshia Ocasio pitches during Florida's 4-1 win against Illinois State on Feb. 21 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.</p>

Aleshia Ocasio pitches during Florida's 4-1 win against Illinois State on Feb. 21 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

There is one trend that continues for the Florida softball team.

That trend is dominant pitching and Saturday was no different for the No. 1 team in the country as Florida defeated UC Davis and San Diego in five innings each, to improve to 21-0 on the season.

Both starting pitchers, Delanie Gourley against UC Davis, and Aleshia Ocasio against San Diego, allowed one hit in their respective starts.

One day after shutting down the No. 2 team in the country, Oregon, Gourley made quick work of UC Davis as she shut down the Aggies in four innings of work, as Florida beat UC Davis 9-0.

“Delanie set the tempo for us,” coach Tim Walton said in a release. “[She] did a good job – gave up the first hit of the game and then settled in nicely.”

Gourley got ahead of the count against the Aggies all game as she struck out five and improved to 6-0 on the season.

UF’s offense was able to get on base often against Aggie starting pitcher Justine Vela and they chased her after 2.1 innings.  

Lauren Haeger got things started quickly for Florida as she hit a RBI double in the first inning to score Kelsey Stewart.

The Gators offense was able to score three runs in the bottom of the third inning, as Taylore Fuller continued her strong start to the California road trip. Fuller hit an RBI single to score Haeger.

Later on in the inning, freshman Janell Wheaton followed hit a 2 RBI double to push UF’s lead to 4-0.

Florida’s offense surged ahead 9-0 after scoring five runs on four hits in the bottom of the fourth inning. Another freshman, Nicole DeWitt was able to hit a bases clearing RBI double to make it an 8-0 lead to put the run rule in effect.

DeWitt had a good day at the plate as she 2-for-2 with 3 RBIs in two games. She walked twice and was hit by a pitch as she reached base in every plate appearance on the day.

In the second game of the day, Ocasio was even better than Gourley in the circle. Ocasio went the distance as she struck out eight San Diego batters to also improve to 6-0 on the season.

Ocasio allowed the Toreros only hit of the game in the fifth inning as Kailey Hill hit a double to leadoff the frame spoiling her chance for a no hitter.

“I thought Aleshia was really good, changing speeds, spins, locations [and] using her defense,” Walton said. “I thought all in all, [it was] solid day all around.”

Bailey Castro hit her fifth home run of the season in the fourth inning, and Kirsti Merritt hit her fourth long ball of the year to cap off a four run fifth inning.

Florida will close out the San Diego Classic I with a game against San Diego State Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

“San Diego State is good team,” Walton said. “Mountain West Champions a lot of times in a row. A good team on their home field – a true road game on a Sunday.”

Update: Florida’s final game in the San Diego Classic I against San Diego State has been cancelled due to inclement weather. UF finishes the tournament with a 4-0 record, including a win against No. 2 Oregon 3-0.

Florida’s California road trip continues with a midweek game against Long Beach State on Wednesday, before heading to Fullerton, California for the Judi Garman Classic. Florida will have rematches against No. 3 Michigan and No. 2 Oregon and face No. 15 Arizona during the second tournament of the road trip.

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII