UF softball wins two more, ties fastest start in program history

<p>Kelsey Stewart runs toward third base during Florida’s 6-0 win against Jacksonville on Feb. 19, 2014, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.</p>

Kelsey Stewart runs toward third base during Florida’s 6-0 win against Jacksonville on Feb. 19, 2014, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

For the second year in a row, the Florida softball team found itself down 4-0 early to Michigan with Delanie Gourley in the circle.

And just like last season, UF was able to come back and win, as No. 1 Florida beat No. 3 Michigan 7-4 on Thursday.

UF then went on to defeat San Jose State 9-1 in five innings to cap its doubleheader and improve to 24-0 on the year, which ties the best start to a season in program history.

Gourley was not at her best during her start as she allowed six hits over three innings of work allowing the four runs.

“I thought they were on Delanie a bit today,” coach Tim Walton said in a release. “A good hitting club like Michigan, they’ve seen all kinds of pitchers and all kinds of things. The big key was I felt like they were able to hit her where the pitch was pitched.”

But freshman Aleshia Ocasio came on in relief and shut down Michigan over four innings. Ocasio allowed two hits and improved to 8-0 on the season.

On the offensive side, Kelsey Stewart was able to provide the go ahead runs as she hit a two RBI double in the bottom of the sixth to give Florida a 6-4 lead.

Stewart was then able to score from second base after Kirsti Merritt laid down a sacrifice bunt that she beat out for an infield hit to make it 7-4.  

Sierra Romero got the scoring underway early in the game for Michigan as she hit a two run home run in the top of the first inning.

Michigan would add to its lead after Haylie Wagner hit a two RBI double in the top of the third inning.

Florida was then able to start chipping away at the Wolverines lead and making adjustments to Michigan starting pitcher Haylie Wagner. UF scored three runs in the bottom of the third, before adding a fourth run in the fifth inning after a RBI double by Briana Little, which was the last run Wagner gave up before being pulled.

“The adjustment for us is we’ve faced Haylie before,” Walton said. “We weren’t looking for any one pitch, but her curveball is so good, you almost have to go up there and anticipate that that pitch is going to be coming.”

With its second win over Michigan this season, UF is now 4-0 against ranked teams.

In its second game of the day, Florida was able to make quick work of San Jose State as the Gators worked their 11th run-rule win of the year.

Stewart reached base four times against the Spartans going 2-for-2 while scoring three times.

Lauren Haeger improved to 10-0 in the circle after she pitched five innings, scattering six hits and striking out seven.   

As a team, UF reached base eight times because of a walk and another time via a hit by pitch.

Florida will next have its toughest day of the season to date, as they will face No. 13 Arizona and then have a rematch against No. 2 Oregon as part of a doubleheader Friday.

“The beauty of what we’ve been doing is, no matter what team goes out there or what lineup goes in, we’ve been doing a good job of just playing the game,” Walton said.  

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII