Florida clinched its series against Auburn on Saturday thanks to two Kirsti Merritt home runs.

The sophomore center fielder had her third multi-home run game of the season and her second in six games as the No. 6 Gators (33-8, 7-7 Southeastern Conference) pulled out a 7-6 win over the No. 19 Tigers (31-8-1, 6-5 SEC).

“I don’t think there’s any pressure on this team,” Merritt said. When I come up to bat, I feel like they’re behind me no matter what. If I’m going to hit a home run then I’m going to hit a home run.”

Added coach Tim Walton: “When she’s swinging and feeling good, it adds confidence. She takes as good of a hack as anyone on the team. … She’s a hard worker. We love her style.”

Prior to the start of Florida’s series against Tennessee on March 28, Merritt had only three home runs on the year.

But in the past six games, the Lake Panasoffkee native has knocked five out of the park.

“We made the smallest adjustment,” Merritt said. “We twisted my back foot and that’s keeping my hands connected to my swing and not making my hips fly open. It’s really working for me.”

Delanie Gourley, starting her 14th game of the season, was in a bind from the start of the game on Saturday.

Tigers leadoff hitter Emily Carosone reached second base due to a Taylore Fuller fielding error to start the contest.

Center fielder Morgan Estell followed that with a single up the middle and advanced to second when Merritt threw the ball home to stop Carosone at third.

Gourley then walked Kasey Cooper to load the bases.

But the freshman left-hander kept her composure as the Gators recorded three straight outs to stop the Tigers from scoring.

While Auburn failed to execute in its first frame, Florida flourished from the start.

With two outs and Chelsea Herndon and Lauren Haeger on base, senior Stephanie Tofft belted a home run down the right field line to give Florida a quick 3-0 lead.

“Our goal is always to get on top in the first inning,” Tofft said. “I was just trying to help make that happen. The runners in front of me did a good job of getting on base and getting moved over, so it worked out.”

Added Walton: “We have a young club. I’m not making any excuses, but that does play a role in it. We’ve got a young team. If you don’t score three in the first inning, what happens next? Do they come out and score? Do we feel like ‘Oh. Here we go again?’ What is the scenario in that? But I thought that was a big, big, big hit. A nice clutch hit for her.”

Heading into Game 3 on Sunday at 1 p.m., Walton wants to see his team continue to develop their strengths at the plate.

“We know we have to score runs,” he said. “This is a good offensive team, so we’re going to have to do some production. I don’t know if I want to give up as many outs as I did today.”

Walton also wants to see a better outing from his pitching staff in the series finale. On Saturday, the Gators gave up eight free passes and six hits — two of which were home runs — while just 53.6 percent of their pitches went for strikes. Gourley, who has shown composure in the circle throughout the season, threw two wild pitches in three innings against Auburn on Saturday.

“My gut says throw Hannah tomorrow, but I really want to get Delanie out there again, too, because she needs to know how good she is,” Walton said. “She gets so many swing and misses, but she’s going to have to get a little better.”

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126