<p>Kirsti Merritt bats during Florida’s 8-0 win against Mercer on March 12 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.</p>

Kirsti Merritt bats during Florida’s 8-0 win against Mercer on March 12 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

Equipped with an electric offense, the UF softball team stormed into Tampa and won every game they played to open up the season — highlighted by a Gator lineup that clobbered eight home runs in five games.

The Gators, now 5-0, amassed 46 runs in the five games they played in the USF Softball Classic – an average of 9.2 runs per game.

"I thought our at-bats from not only our older players but our younger players were very consistent," coach Tim Walton said. "They were very professional"

Kirsti Merritt was a spark plug and a big source of Florida’s power surge – the junior hit three home runs, all on Sunday – two of which came in UF’s 9-0 win against Jacksonville University.

On top of her three blasts, Merritt hit two doubles and knocked in nine runs as part of a 6-for-11 outing at the plate over the three-day tournament.

"Saturday, I didn’t do so good, I went 0-4 on Saturday," Merritt said. "Sunday, I swung at much better pitches with much better counts. I didn’t let myself get behind."

At 5-foot-4, Merritt may not seem threatening at the plate, but the center fielder packs a powerful punch.

She hit 13 home runs last season in 187 at-bats – which was second best on the team.

Merritt said she’s often asked how she generates her power despite her small frame.

"Just use your legs," she said. "That’s what I tell little girls, ‘even though you’re small, look at me, you have to use your legs when you’re hitting.’"

With three home runs under her belt in only 11 at-bats this season, Merritt said one reason she’s become a better hitter is because she and Walton made a mechanical adjustment to her swing.

"She swings so hard that she has a hitch so when she’s swinging she wants to jack the ball," Walton said. "Her swing would almost go backwards when it should be getting into its launch position."

Now, Merritt starts in a bunt position when hitting and brings the bat back before she swings, which is used as a timing mechanism.

"I think it’s already improved my swing like 100 times better," Merritt said. "I started in the postseason last year and it really helped my swing and it’s already moved over to this season."

Merritt and the Gators will look to continue their hot hitting as they face Jacksonville tonight in Jacksonville (2-3) at 6. Florida is 13-0 all-time against the Dolphins.

Despite the offensive numbers UF put up over the weekend, Walton said the team will have to play better defense in tonight’s game and this weekend’s home games after Florida committed six errors during the tournament.

"The offensive stuff that we’re doing, that doesn’t win you championships," he said. "It might look good on the scoreboard 17-0, but it doesn’t win you championships – we’re gonna have to play way better defense."

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @pinakk12