<p><span>Lauren Haeger pitches during Florida's 14-10 loss to LSU on Mar. 14 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.</span></p>

Lauren Haeger pitches during Florida's 14-10 loss to LSU on Mar. 14 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

Lauren Haeger has been named the 2015 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year. She was presented the award in Oklahoma City at a banquet on Tuesday night.

Haeger is Florida’s first player to win the accolade in its 14 years of existence. She edged out Oregon pitcher Cheridan Hawkins and Michigan infielder Sierra Romero to win the honor.

As Florida’s rock all season in the circle, Haeger has compiled a 28-1 record in 36 appearances, and her sparkling 1.24 ERA ranks sixth in the nation.

Haeger’s .966 winning percentage is tops in the country among pitchers with at least 20 wins.

The senior has also been UF’s most valuable run producer at the plate.

Haeger is hitting .329 and leads the Gators with 64 RBI. Her 16 home runs are second best among Florida’s hitters.

Haeger’s remarkable season has included milestones and records.

The Peoria, Arizona, native set the career home run record for UF and the Southeastern Conference when she hit her 66th career homer against Georgia on April 18.

Haeger carried her pitching success in the regular season right into the postseason, as she has tossed each of Florida’s last 29 innings in regional and super regional play, allowing zero earned runs in that span.

After Haeger’s latest complete-game shutout victory over Kentucky that sent the Gators to the NCAA Women’s College World Series on Sunday, coach Tim Walton endorsed his ace to win the award.

“She just solidified national player of the year,” Walton said. “How could she not? 28 wins, home runs; we would not be as good as we are without her.”

Florida is set to open play in the WCWS against Tennessee on Thursday at noon.

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @Pinakk12