Florida softball falls to Michigan, forcing winner-take-all game 3 for WCWS title

<p>Coach Tim Walton was more than happy to empty his bench in Florida's 19-3 win over Florida A&amp;M on Wednesday.&nbsp;“I think overall the main priority is to get everybody at-bats and to keep our timing right," he said.&nbsp;</p>

Coach Tim Walton was more than happy to empty his bench in Florida's 19-3 win over Florida A&M on Wednesday. “I think overall the main priority is to get everybody at-bats and to keep our timing right," he said. 

Haylie Wagner wasn’t ready to go home.

Starting game two of the Women’s College World Series in the circle for Michigan, Wagner carried the Wolverines to victory against Florida in a must-win game.

The senior twirled a complete-game shutout as the No. 3 Wolverines downed the No. 1 Gators 1-0 Tuesday night at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City.

The two teams will both have a chance to win the title Wednesday at 8 p.m.

Wagner, who pitched Michigan’s final 3.1 innings in Monday’s game, didn’t allow a hit or a run in that appearance.

The lefthander continued that success into Tuesday’s win, surrendering zero runs on six hits while striking out five Florida hitters in the win.

“My mentality is that they’re not going to beat me,” Wagner said. “I’m going after them, and I’m gonna pitch my heart out and leave it all on the field.”

Michigan (60-7) decided the game early in the first inning.

UF starting pitcher Lauren Haeger gave up a single to Sierra Lawrence through the left side to open the inning. A batter later, Sierra Romero grounded a ball to Florida shortstop Kathlyn Medina, who tried to get the out at second, but Lawrence was called safe.

Two Wolverines later, Kelsey Susalla singled to shallow center, scoring Lawrence from second to score the lone run of the game.

Lawrence initially held at second to see if the ball was going to be caught but was able to score when the ball trickled off of UF centerfielder Kirsti Merritt, who misplayed it.

The Gators (59-7) had multiple chances to put up runs in innings but couldn’t find a clutch hit.

In the second inning, Haeger singled to lead off the frame before advancing to second on a Taylore Fuller sacrifice bunt.

But Florida couldn’t plate Haeger as Bailey Castro struck out, Taylor Schwarz singled to move Haeger to third and Aubree Munro went down swinging to end the threat.

In the fourth inning, UF’s clutch-hitting woes continued.

Haeger and Fuller both singled with one out but couldn’t score as Castro popped up to the second baseman and Schwarz grounded out to the shortstop.

The Gators left five runners on base against Wagner, three of which were in scoring position.

In what seemed like Florida’s last opportunity to score a run, Wagner worked out of yet another jam in the sixth inning.

With one out, Merritt pushed a bunt single toward first base and stole second a batter later.  But with two outs, Fuller lined a ball to the shortstop to waste an opportunity.

Haeger, who allowed just one run through six innings, wasn’t good enough to beat Wagner in the pitcher’s duel. The Peoria, Arizona, native’s record now sits at 31-2 as she suffered just her second loss of the season.

A television broadcast contributed to this report.

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @Pinakk12.