<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Katie Medina jogs out of the batter’s box during Florida’s 9-1 win over UNC Wilmington on Feb. 17 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. Medina singled with bases loaded to help Florida to a 4-3 walk-off victory against UAB on Saturday in the NCAA Super Regional.</span></p>

Katie Medina jogs out of the batter’s box during Florida’s 9-1 win over UNC Wilmington on Feb. 17 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. Medina singled with bases loaded to help Florida to a 4-3 walk-off victory against UAB on Saturday in the NCAA Super Regional.

After Florida stumbled with bases loaded in the sixth against UAB, sophomore shortstop Katie Medina delivered the winning hit in the bottom of the seventh.

UF loaded the bases again for Medina, who singled to left field to score senior Kelsey Horton. Medina’s late-game heroics helped the No. 2 seed Gators (56-7) rally back for a 4-3 walk-off win against the Blazers (40-18) in their NCAA Super Regional at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

“I was just looking for a pitch to drive,” Medina said. “As soon as I hit it, I looked at the ball and I saw it was just over the shortstop, so I knew.”

Coach Tim Walton chose to go with Medina in the seventh over pinch hitter Bailey Castro, who took Medina’s spot in the batting order during the sixth. Medina was hitless in her previous 17 at-bats before the play.

“As I was getting into the box I knew that my team was behind me and their support gives me the confidence I need to look for that pitch and drive it,” Medina said.

UF fell behind 1-0 in the second after UAB scored an unearned run on an error from freshman first baseman Taylor Schwarz.

“She just said the ball came out of her glove,” Walton said. “Unfortunately, she's been complaining about her glove for about two weeks now.”

Added junior pitcher Hannah Rogers: “If there is an error, I always tell my team to just keep smiling because as long you are getting outs, we are going to come back and score.”

The Gators tied the score at 1 in the third on an RBI single from junior Stephanie Tofft, who helped drive in freshman Kelsey Stewart from second base.

With runners in scoring position and two outs in the top of the fifth, UAB center fielder Whitney Fletcher knocked an RBI single to right field, lifting the Blazers to a 2-1 advantage.

Florida loaded the bases with two outs in the fifth after drawing two singles and a hit-by-pitch. Horton had two strikes but was hit by Lannah Campbell’s pitch, evening the score at 2-2. But with the bases still filled, Schwarz grounded out to end the inning.

After Briana Little walked, Taylore Fuller singled and Castro drew a walk, Florida reloaded the bases in the sixth with no outs. But UAB reliever Leigh Streetman retired Florida’s top of the batting order to prevent UF from scoring.

Alabama-Birmingham took a 3-2 lead in the seventh on Kristen McGrath’s RBI single. Medina chased McGrath’s drive, but the ball popped out of the shortstop’s glove.

In the bottom of the seventh, Florida found itself in a familiar position. Haeger walked, Horton worked a 4-0 count for a walk and Schwarz was hit by a Streetman pitch to load the bases with no outs. Then, Little was hit by a pitch, driving in a run to tie the game at 3. But after Fuller struck out, Medina delivered the winning play.

The Gators will face the Blazers on Sunday at noon. A win would send Florida to its fifth Women’s College World Series in six seasons. If UF falls to UAB in Game 2, a third match would be played at 3:30 p.m.

“There’s no doubt in my mind we can’t come back and win two,” McGrath said.

Added UAB coach Marla Townsend: “We did not come here for a moral victory.”

Contact Landon Watnick at lwatnick@alligator.org.