Jumpball: Is the Orange and Blue Debut worthy of excitement or cynicism?

ANTHONY CHIANG- Chaing Reaction

After living in their own personal bubble for the last four weeks, the Gators will take their talents to The Swamp on Saturday.

Now, I know my colleague believes this public scrimmage is useless, but he couldn’t be more wrong.

Saturday presents Florida coach Will Muschamp with the only opportunity he has before next season’s opener to simulate a real game — you know, the feel that comes with thousands of fans watching as you toss the pigskin around one of the most daunted stadiums in the country.

I’m guessing Florida can’t recreate this atmosphere when they run around on the Sanders Football Practice Field with a limited amount of fans or media in attendance. And by limited, of course, I mean none.

To quote the infamous hoops legend Allen Iverson, “I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. But we’re talking about practice.”

Iverson actually has it right here.

Practice means little compared to Saturday’s scrimmage when it comes to evaluating this team in terms of the 2011 season.

Position battles will be won and players will either wilt or flower in the Orange and Blue Debut.

You see, I’m not surprised by Adam’s ignorance in this spot. Let me tell you a little thing you might not know about Mr. Berry: He loves practicing. He is one of those guys who likes to shoot around and refuses to play a game of pickup basketball because he’s “not in the mood.”

That’s not cool, Adam.

Not leaving until you make 25 baskets in a row doesn’t equate to being a baller.

It works the same way for the Gators.

The coaches will know a lot more about their team after Saturday’s scrimmage because the players will finally be placed in a game-like situation. In other words, John Brantley will have to do more than throw to uncovered receivers, and Matt Elam can’t just run agility drills around cones.

This is the only time it can be done. For that, this scrimmage is vital.

Anyway, who doesn’t want an excuse to tailgate and watch football in the spring? The only answer to that question is the Grinch. And that’s exactly what Adam is.

ADAM BERRY - Bad News Berry

I almost feel bad for saying the annual spring game isn’t worth all the fanfare, but the truth needs to be told.

And the truth is, you will not see anything on the field Saturday worth getting excited about.

Don’t let Chiang’s optimism fool you. He’s easily excitable.

He’s been listening to “I’m So Hood” while running stadiums at The Swamp for four straight weeks just to release some of his nervous energy about the chance to get dressed up on a Saturday, sit in the press box and enjoy free entertainment.

In reality, the entertainment Saturday will be limited to bland, vanilla football. The Gators will get a chance to show what they have learned under their new coaches — but anyone who says this is where position battles are won clearly doesn’t understand that this is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage 147 days before the season opener.

If they wanted to try to run impressive plays or experiment with risky formations, why do it in front of a judgmental crowd, a national audience and a pack of opposing coaches watching the film? If anything, UF’s coaches will leave their playbook pages glued together for Saturday’s game more so than they would in a closed-off, for-their-eyes-only practice.

In fact, they’re even letting people who do the same thing Chiang does for a living call a few plays.

Florida coach Will Muschamp even admitted as much earlier this week, saying the Orange and Blue Debut wouldn’t be a flashy affair.

Chiang knows a thing or two about flashy, as can be attested to by anyone who has ever seen the man strutting around town wearing his trademark matching sweatsuits.

A lot of your favorite players will be sharing Chiang’s wardrobe Saturday, as they will be sitting on the sideline with injuries. You won’t see many others for long, as the backups will eventually rule the field. A few players will appear to emerge as superstars, only to disappear from the radar completely by the time fall rolls around.

And, despite what your Chiang-like enthusiasm will talk your brain into thinking, you won’t actually leave The Swamp with any idea about how Florida’s team will look next year.