<p><span>Donnie Craine, 61, UF's men's and women's diving coach for the past 25 years, passed away Thursday morning. Craine was the SEC Diving Coach of the Year four times while at Florida.</span></p>

Donnie Craine, 61, UF's men's and women's diving coach for the past 25 years, passed away Thursday morning. Craine was the SEC Diving Coach of the Year four times while at Florida.

Donnie Craine spent 30 years at the helm of the Gators diving team and was one of the most respected coaches in the Southeastern Conference. He was named SEC Diving Coach of the Year four times while at Florida and brought two NCAA champion divers through the Gators’ program.

On Thursday morning, Craine, 61, died in a boating accident off the coast of Bokeelia.

“This is such sad news about Donnie Craine. Donnie loved being a Gator and spent his career here coaching our men’s and women’s diving athletes,” UF athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a release. “He will be missed.”

Craine spent his entire 37-year coaching career in the SEC. He started at Florida in 1976 after graduating from the University of Michigan that year. He stayed at Florida for five years before taking over for one year at Arkansas in 1984. From 1987-89, he coached the LSU diving team and returned to Florida for good in 1989 when Alison Brothers captured the 1-meter springboard national title for the Gators.

But Craine’s impact at Florida was more than accolades.

“You’ll never meet a nicer guy than Donnie Craine,” swimming coach Gregg Troy said in a release. “He was caring for not just the athletes he worked with, but for everyone he came in touch with. He was a tremendous family man. This is a great loss to everyone.”

Craine leaves behind his wife of 36 years, Mindy, and his three children: Keith, Christopher and Stephanie.