<p>Senior Josie Kuhlman and the Gators begin dual-match play Saturday morning at 9. They are looking to rebound from a shaky opening tournament in Las Vegas. </p>

Senior Josie Kuhlman and the Gators begin dual-match play Saturday morning at 9. They are looking to rebound from a shaky opening tournament in Las Vegas. 

The Gators women’s tennis team has faced some of the best programs in the nation this season. When it comes to its upcoming opponent in Cal State Fullerton, however, the squad is left entirely in the dark.

“We don’t know them at all,” senior Josie Kuhlman said. “We’re just excited to get out on the court together and show them what we got.”

Florida will officially begin dual-match play on Saturday against the Titans at 9 a.m. at the Ring Tennis Complex.

The Gators enter the weekend having recently competed in the Freeman Memorial at UNLV. The team’s best performer in that tournament was freshman Victoria Emma, who made it to the semifinals of singles play.

An area that Florida struggled in during the tournament was doubles competition, where the two pairings UF had in the tournament were eliminated in the first round. The Gators have been pairing up freshmen and seniors to create doubles teams at practice this week. But as coach Roland Thornqvist noted, the format may not be set in stone.

“It’s worked well in practice,” Thornqvist said. “But I also like to win, so sometimes you have to see if it’s really working.”

The ITA Kickoff against Cal State Fullerton was originally scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. on Saturday, but play was moved up to 9 due to weather conditions that have rendered the back six courts unplayable. The women’s championships will then begin at 8 a.m. on Sunday, where UF will face either Louisiana-Monroe or Marshall.

Follow River Wells on Twitter @riverhwells and contact him at rwells@alligator.org.