<p>Will Kadarius Toney be suspended for his offseason shenanigans?</p>

Will Kadarius Toney be suspended for his offseason shenanigans?

Florida is holding its annual football media day today, which means Friday is the anticipated launch of the Gators’ fall camp.

Obviously, the biggest question for UF is who will start at quarterback. But in my opinion, a decision between redshirt sophomores Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask won’t come before the season opener against Charleston Southern on Sept. 1.

So, what are the three biggest questions coach Dan Mullen and Florida face on the cusp of training camp?

Allow me to ask.

Will any players be suspended?

With all of the recent reports about football players being involved in a series of altercations with Gainesville locals and incidents spanning from February to late July, there has to be some sort of discipline from Mullen. Right?

Of course, he could have already spoken to his players regarding many of these incidents, dealing out punishments as he sees fit without drawing media attention.

But what about recent reports of a Gainesville police officer that pulled over wide receiver Kadarius Toney and found an assault rifle laying in the back seat of his Chevy Monte Carlo?

The sophomore wasn’t arrested (although having an assault rifle readily accessible in a car is illegal), but there must be some violation of team rules here.

It will be interesting to see what disciplinary action, if any, comes from the actions of Toney and his teammates.

Can the O-Line take the next step?

Many coaches would be ecstatic inheriting a starting offensive line comprised of three seniors and two juniors. But if this unit struggles as much this season as it did in 2017, it won’t matter who starts at quarterback or running back for the Gators. It’ll be a long season.

UF ranked last in the SEC in sacks allowed per game last season (3.36) and 12th in tackles for loss allowed per game (6.64).

Center T.J. McCoy will be one of Florida’s most important players in 2018 after starting nine games last season and four in 2016. His experience making calls on the line is invaluable, but at 6-foot-1, he’ll almost always have a size disadvantage against opposing defensive tackles. Yet, there are more important things for a center than height, and if McCoy can improve on his snapping and blocking techniques from a season ago, it’ll be a huge step forward for the whole line.

Seniors Tyler Jordan and Fred Johnson look to be the starting guards, but don’t overlook redshirt sophomore Brett Heggie, who started seven games in 2017 and was arguably the team’s best guard before going down with a knee injury against Missouri. If he’s healthy for the season opener, he may start over Jordan at left guard.

Senior Martez Ivey and junior Jawaan Taylor, both 6-foot-5 and over 310 pounds, each started 23 games over the past two seasons but have to improve both technically and physically. Ivey spoke at SEC Media Days and talked about how he felt frustratingly weak compared to opponents last season.

Hopefully, Hevesy and strength and conditioning coach Nick Savage have already begun transforming this unit technically and physically.

Is there a possibility of two kickers?

I’m sure nobody wants to revisit the UF special teams unit that came after place kicker Francisco Velez and before Eddy Pineiro, but it’s the last time the Florida kicking job was as wide open as it is this year.

Current redshirt senior Jorge Powell and Austin Hardin split the kicking duties in 2015.

Hardin, a junior at the time, went 5 for 14, and Powell knocked in 2 of 3 as a freshman, his only career makes (long of 31 yards). Hardin made 24 of 27 extra points; Powell converted 10 of 11, and Neil “The Dentist” MacInnes went 2 for 3.

Now, Powell is the only Florida kicker with in-game experience. He’ll be vying for the starting job with true freshman Evan McPherson.

Powell’s accurate, but lacks the booming leg that Pineiro had and McPherson seems to possess. This could mean that McPherson could handle the kickoff and long field goal duties, while Powell takes extra points and shorter field goals.

However, Gator fans may be wary of having a multiple kickers for the first time since 2015. So it wouldn’t be surprising if Mullen chose either Powell or McPherson to take over as UF’s new full-time kicker.

If McPherson twins the job and doesn't work out, Mullen can always redshirt him after four games.

@mstinejr
mstine@alligator.org