UF track & field comes out strong at first day of Razorback Invitational

<p>UF track and field coach Mike Holloway talks with mid-distance runner Andres Arroyo on the final day of the 2015 Florida Relays on Saturday at the Percy Beard Track.</p>

UF track and field coach Mike Holloway talks with mid-distance runner Andres Arroyo on the final day of the 2015 Florida Relays on Saturday at the Percy Beard Track.

After one day of competition, Florida’s No. 1-ranked men’s team and No. 6-ranked women’s team have nothing to be disappointed with.  

In the 200-meter dash senior Kyra Jefferson clocked a 22.72, ahead of teammates Robin Reynolds who posted a 23.38, and Shayla Sanders who ran a 23.49. Jefferson also posted the world-leading time.

“I don’t think anyone was surprised Kyra ran that fast,” UF coach Mike Holloway said in a release. “It was a big run for her, very proud of her, but she knows we’ve got more work to do.”

In the men’s pole vault redshirt sophomore Aaron Owens reached 5.21 meters, equaling the No. 8 all-time indoor mark in Florida history.

In the men’s long jump sophomore KeAndre Bates placed second with a best mark of 7.93 meters, a top-10 world mark for this year, narrowly edging out Florida State’s Stefan Brits who had a best mark of 7.72m.

In her debut as a Gator, freshman Yanis David posted a best mark of 6.39 meters in the women’s Long Jump, which was good enough for 4th place. In the same event, sophomore Darrielle McQueen placed 11th with a mark of 6.06 meters.

“We have to come back out here and compete. There’s a lot of great teams here, great competition,” Holloway said. “Everything we do tomorrow, we’ve got to turn the volume up just a little bit. I give you my word we will be better tomorrow.”

Competition at the Razorback Invitational will continue into Saturday at 1:30 p.m. on the SEC Network.

Contact Lauen Staff at lstaff@alligator.com and follow her on Twitter @lstaff27.