Pair of transfers making difference for Florida volleyball

<p>UF coach Mary Wise calls out instructions during Florida's 3-0 win against Auburn on Oct. 11, 2015, in the O'Connell Center. On Friday, Wise earned her 800th win as the coach of the Gators.</p>

UF coach Mary Wise calls out instructions during Florida's 3-0 win against Auburn on Oct. 11, 2015, in the O'Connell Center. On Friday, Wise earned her 800th win as the coach of the Gators.

During the fourth set of Florida volleyball’s match against Oregon on Saturday night, the Gators’ backs were against the wall.

Up 24-22, the Ducks needed only a single point to extend the match to the fifth and final set on their home court.

But when UF defensive specialist Caroline Knop went to serve, she had one thing on her mind — winning.

“It was a look on her face,” UF coach Mary Wise said of Knop. “She just refused to lose that set.”

So she didn’t.

Typically, newcomers are inexperienced, requiring time and patience before they’re ready to contribute to the team.

For Florida volleyball, however, newcomers are making all the difference.

And none more so than transfers Allie Monserez and Knop.

The No. 7 Gators (1-1), who face Central Michigan (1-2) and Morgan State (0-4) in East Lansing, Michigan, as part of a doubleheader on Saturday, endured major roster turnover after graduating five seniors last season, including a pair of All-Americans in Mackenzie Dagostino and Ziva Recek.

It was an offseason filled with questions and unknowns as Florida prepared to dole out an 18-person squad riddled with fresh faces and inexperience.

But Monserez and Knop have answered the call.

Monserez, who made her way to Gainesville via transfer from the University of South Carolina, picked up the Southeastern Conference’s first Setter of the Week award of the 2016 season following her play against No. 1-ranked Nebraska and Oregon at the VERT Challenge.

The redshirt sophomore totaled 100 assists between the two games, including a career-high 51 assists against Oregon.

In addition to helping her team post a .341 hitting percentage against the Ducks, Monserez was able to consistently feed the squad’s offensive playmakers, including Rhamat Alhassan, Alex Holston and Carli Snyder, who each had at least 10 kills in back-to-back games to open the season.

Knop, who transferred from Michigan after two season with the Wolverines, was equally impressive in her first two matches as a Gator.

The junior libero recorded four service aces during the VERT Challenge, including a three-ace performance against the Ducks that helped ensure Florida’s first victory of the season.

Knop also tallied 30 digs during the challenge, notching a career-high 19 digs in the Gators’ comeback win.

The outstanding transfer-duo aside, Wise said this team is still young, and there is still much to learn.

“There is no substitute for experience,” Wise said. “And that’s at every level — whether it’s going from high school to college, college to international, international to the Olympics.

“There is a learning curve, and you can’t just forward that.”

Contact Ray Boone at rboone@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @rboone1994