<p>UF defensive specialist Lindsey Rogers serves during Florida's 3-0 win against Auburn on Oct. 11, 2015.</p>

UF defensive specialist Lindsey Rogers serves during Florida's 3-0 win against Auburn on Oct. 11, 2015.

With Florida trailing 23-19 in a crucial third set against Florida State, the Seminoles seemed poised to take a stranglehold on the match.

But when they needed it most, the Gators got a boost from an unlikely hero.

Lindsey Rogers, the sophomore defensive specialist who has only received playing time sparingly this season, led Florida on a 6-0 service run to clinch the set, swinging momentum in the Gators’ favor.

Florida State was never able to recover.

The No. 11 seed Gators advanced to the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16 by defeating the Seminoles 25-19 (23-25, 25-19, 25-23) in front of an electric crowd at the O’Connell Center on Friday night.

The match played out much like a fight between two heavyweight boxers, with the two teams trading an unrelenting barrage of punches throughout.

FSU drew first blood, taking an early 4-1 lead. But the Gators fought back, drawing even on one of Carli Snyder’s two aces to knot the score at 13 apiece.

Florida State rallied, however, taking the first set and the early momentum.

In the second, Florida fought to take a 13-8 lead and went on to win 25-19.

But it was the third set in which Florida delivered its knockout blow, led by Rogers’ effective serve.

“I knew coming off the bench that I was going to have to serve, so I went in and just did my job,” she said.  

Florida’s 14-2 run that encompassed the end of the third and beginning of the fourth set showcased the Gators’ resolve and put the team ahead for good.

Florida went on to clinch the fourth set, 25-19.

“For this group…we’ve had our rough moments. It was a gut-check time in the third set,” coach Mary Wise said.

In typical rivalry game fashion, the match turned into a defensive slugfest.

Florida posted a hitting clip of .223, while holding Florida State to just .172.

But while the Gators posted ugly offensive efficiency numbers as a team, outside hitter Ziva Recek helped carry them.

The senior posted a double-double with 16 kills and 17 digs on .293 hitting in her final game in the O’Connell center.

“It was one of those special performances that will highlight her career,” coach Wise said.

“She was… at her very best. We don’t win this match without (her).”

Although it was only the second round of the tournament, the match had the fierce intensity of a later-round contest, in part because of the history between the two schools.

Next, Florida will play No. 6 seed Wisconsin in Austin, Texas, on Dec. 11.

“People will look at the score, 3-1, and may not realize just how difficult a win it was,” coach Wise said.

“This match lived up to its billing,”

Follow Brian Lee on Twitter @brianlee_17