Florida was tested, and then it was rewarded.

The test was Kentucky, the only legitimate challenger to Florida’s hold on the Southeastern Conference crown.

On Sunday, UF secured at least a share of the SEC championship with its 3-1 win over UK.

The reward came after the match, even if it only lasted for one course.

“The (players) sent over Shainah Joseph to my table afterwards and asked if they could have dessert,” coach Mary Wise said.

It was a luxury for a team dinner, but certainly justified after Florida clinched its 21st conference championship in program history and second one in three years. With one more victory in its next three matches, UF will own the title outright.

And yet, despite the reward, the celebration is still far away.

“This is a school that never takes championships for granted,” Wise said.

Florida still has three remaining conference matches and a season finale against No.3 Texas before it begins tournament play.

Even so, the Gators are in a comfortable spot.

There is no doubt Florida’s daunting early season schedule worked in its favor, when it faced four top-15 opponents during a one-week span in mid-September.

Not only has Florida improved as a unit as a result of those matches, but its younger players have all made strides as well.

Wise mentioned sophomore Alex Holston, who has pushed past the nerves of her freshman season and into a more comfortable position as one of Florida’s offensive leaders.

“There was a point in Alex’s career earlier where an (error) might have carried over from set to set, and that certainly didn’t yesterday,” Wise said.

Florida’s coach also made note of Rhamat Alhassan and her rapid success in transitioning into college volleyball, faster than even Wise could have predicted before the season began.

Against Kentucky when UF needed her the most, the freshman tallied 15 kills, a team-high 4 blocks and a .478 hitting clip.

“In what has been the biggest stage so far, to put up the numbers she did, that speaks to her development,” Wise said.

The win also spoke to the development of the team as a whole, who, before Sunday, had not lost a set in over a month.

Florida fought back after dropping the second set against Kentucky, and passed the test that was presented to them.

“We needed to play a team like Kentucky, as well as they played,” Wise said. “The resiliency these players showed in that environment, it was a great testament to how far our team has come in this part of the season.”

For Florida, the SEC championship was its dessert.

The real reward is still up for grabs.

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @IcohenB