<p>Rachael Kramer (right) attempts a block during Florida's 3-0 win over Jacksonville on Sept. 16, 2016, in the Lemerand Center.</p>

Rachael Kramer (right) attempts a block during Florida's 3-0 win over Jacksonville on Sept. 16, 2016, in the Lemerand Center.

During the second set of Sunday’s matchup between No. 9 Florida and South Carolina, Gamecocks middle blocker Alicia Starr went up high for a kill to dent the Gators’ 23-19 lead.

She got stuffed.

Florida went on to defeat South Carolina in a clean sweep on Sunday.

And as evidenced by that play, it was due in large part to its defense.

With a tall, physical front row and relentless backcourt, the Gators (14-2, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) have made themselves the team to fear in the SEC.

The Gators have totaled 157 blocks (2.91 blocks per set) and have only surrendered an opponent hitting percentage of .166, ranking them first and second in the conference, respectively.

On Sunday, Florida held the Gamecocks to a .030 hitting percentage, including a negative .069 percentage in the first set, and recorded 11 total blocks.

“Our players take a lot of pride in the hitting efficiency of our opponents,” UF coach Mary Wise said on Monday. “A lot of credit to the scouting report and the work that our staff puts in in preparing for opponents.”

In the frontcourt, the team’s length has been key.

Middle blockers Rhamat Alhassan and Rachael Kramer, who tower at 6-foot-4 and 6-foot-8, respectively, lead the team.

Alhassan, whose 13 solo blocks leads the team, and Kramer, who has recorded at least five total blocks in five games, have combined for a whopping 115 total blocks.

The sheer length of the frontcourt alone makes it difficult for opposing teams to put the ball over the net.

“(Sunday) was one of those matches where I felt that because we served well, we could take advantage, again, of our size,” Wise said.

In the back row, feisty libero Caroline Knop is the leader.

The junior has been an anchor for the Gators’ defense and has been a consistent source of energy for the team.

Knop, who leads the team with 208 digs, including 17 against South Carolina, has been a thorn in the side of opposing outside hitters and middle blockers all season long.

“C.K. played really well,” Wise said of Knop’s play against the Gamecocks. “Our back row did such a good job, and so when South Carolina tried a different shot, we were able to transition that, as well.”

The Gators will be on the road Friday night to face an LSU team that has one of the weakest attacks in the SEC. The Tigers (7-10, 2-4 SEC) rank outside the top 10 in hitting percentage (.195), assists per set (11.28) and kills per set (12.22).

“We’re going to spend these next few days, as we do every week, we’ll watch film and see if … we can get the Gators better,” Wise said, “And see if there’s anything we can do to keep LSU from being their best.”

Contact Ray Boone at rboone@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @rboone1994.