<p>UF coach Mary Wise talks with her players during Florida's 3-1 win over Marshall on Sept. 17, 2016, in the Lemerand Athletic Center.  </p>

UF coach Mary Wise talks with her players during Florida's 3-1 win over Marshall on Sept. 17, 2016, in the Lemerand Athletic Center.  

With Florida volleyball leading 23-19 during the second set of Sunday’s match against Georgia, UF setter Allie Monserez gently lofted the ball into the air.

With perfect timing, outside hitter Carli Snyder leapt into the air and slammed down Monserez’s pass for a kill, giving the Gators a set-point opportunity.

The Gators won the match 3-0.

For No. 10 Florida (18-2, 8-1 Southeastern Conference), passing has been a work of art this season.

The Gators lead the SEC in assists per set, helping them achieve a .331 hitting percentage and 14.27 kills-per-set average in conference play, ranking them first and second in the SEC, respectively.

Behind timely digs from libero Caroline Knop and accurate sets from Monserez, one of the nation’s leading setters, the Gators have been able to put the ball in the hands of their point scorers: All-Americans Alex Holston, Rhamat Alhassan and Snyder.

“To have multiple players (score),” UF coach Mary Wise said, “that tells you a lot about our offense.”

Knop has been reliable for the Gators in the back row. She leads her team with 277 digs, and her 4.13 digs per set ranks third in the SEC.

Time after time, Knop has sacrificed her body in order to make game-saving digs. Her quick reflexes and timely movements have made scoring a nightmare for opposing offenses.

In the last two matches, the junior had 29 digs. On the season, Knop has registered double-digit digs in 16 matches, including a career-high 31 against Ole Miss on Sept. 23.

And opposing teams keep attacking her.

“I would love for them to keep hitting at me,” Knop said.

Monserez, Knop’s partner in setting up the team’s point scorers, has been one of the Gators’ most reliable players every time she steps foot on the court.

Her 770 assists lead the team, and her 12.22 assists per set ranks first in the conference.

Combined, Monserez and Knop form a deadly passing combination.

“Allie’s doing a great job,” Knop said. “I can’t say enough that it’s about the people around me. It’s about Allie who’s setting some really ridiculous hitters, too.”

With the Gators set to take on Ole Miss on Friday night and LSU on Sunday afternoon — both home contests — the race for the SEC’s top team is beginning to tighten.

However, despite the intensity of conference play, Knop said the team’s focus remains the same — all eyes are on the NCAA Tournament.

“This second half of SEC play, we’re just gonna continue to try and get better,” she said.

“The end goal is not an SEC Championship. It’s a national championship.

Contact Ray Boone at rboone@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @rboone1994.