<p>From left: Alex Holston, Shainah Joseph and Rhamat Alhassan wait for play to resume during Florida's 3-0 win over Mississippi State on Oct. 21, 2016, at the Lemerand Center.</p>

From left: Alex Holston, Shainah Joseph and Rhamat Alhassan wait for play to resume during Florida's 3-0 win over Mississippi State on Oct. 21, 2016, at the Lemerand Center.

The Mississippi State volleyball team entered the Lemerand Athletic Center on Friday night hoping for its first win after three-straight losses.

Instead, the No. 10 Gators (17-2, 7-1 Southeastern Conference) defeated the Bulldogs (11-11, 3-5 SEC) in straight sets for Florida’s 11th sweep of the season and third sweep in conference play.

MSU couldn’t get anything going against the Gators on a night where Florida’s defense was more akin to an impenetrable fortress.

The Gators set the tone from the very beginning of the match.

“The difference-maker was Rhamat (Alhassan),” UF coach Mary Wise said.

After opening the first set with a kill, the Alhassan rose into the air and rejected a potential kill by MSU middle Jelena Vujcin. During the opening set, the Gators made hitting a nightmare for the Bulldogs, stuffing five shots and holding their offense to a -.103 hitting percentage.

Alhassan and hitter Alex Holston proved to be a deadly defensive combination in the front row, recording a combined eight assisted blocks in the frame.

“The two of them combined are two of the highest, most physical blockers together in the country,” Wise said. “Ask any player in our gym, and they’ll tell you how difficult they are.”

During the second set, things quickly trended downward for the Bulldogs.

Up 11-10 in set 2, Florida went on a quick 7-0 run behind their defense and the offense of outside hitter Carli Snyder, who was responsible for two kills during the outburst.

By the third set, it was all over.

The Gators defeated the Bulldogs 25-17 to take the match.

In one of their most complete offensive and defensive efforts in SEC play, Florida was led by Alhassan and Snyder.

The duo combined for 20 kills while Alhassan posted a .571 hitting percentage.

And although MSU struggled, coach Wise credited the Bulldogs with a fearless attacking effort, especially considering the presence Alhassan had at the net.

“The speed of the offense they run, they’re relentless,” Wise said.

In the backcourt, Knop led the team with 16 kills. She also chipped in five assists. However, in her first season with the team, defensive specialist Allie Gregory had one of the best matches of her young career, tallying 10 digs and one service ace.

“I did a lot of mental prep for this match,” Gregory said. “I just really went out there and played for the love of the game.”

With the win, Florida remains in third place in the conference standings behind No. 21 Kentucky and Missouri, who are both undefeated in SEC play.

The Gators return to action on Sunday when they take on Georgia (13-8, 1-7 SEC) at home.

“We’re really looking forward to Sunday,” Snyder said. “If we could play (Saturday), we would.”

Contact Ray Boone at  rboone@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter at @rboone1994.