<p>UF volleyball celebrates a point during Florida's 3-0 win against Texas A&amp;M.</p>

UF volleyball celebrates a point during Florida's 3-0 win against Texas A&M.

It was the opening round of the 2011 NCAA tournament, and Florida and Missouri were meeting for the first time in program history.

Kelly Murphy was there, not as an observer but as the starting setter, three years before she would earn a gold medal with the U.S. women’s national team. Two-time All-American to-be Chloe Mann played, albeit as a sophomore with limited touches.

Then-freshman Madison Monserez was also at the match, although she was still learning Florida’s system and could only watch as her team defeated Missouri to advance to the next round.

But when No. 8 Florida (14-3, 8-0 Southeastern Conference) faces Missouri (13-9, 4-3 SEC) at 7 in the O’Connell Center tonight, it won’t be like 2011.

Since the start of 2013, Missouri has owned the series.

The Gators fell to the Tigers 3-1 on the road last year and were held scoreless in a crushing 3-0 loss at home almost a month later.

Monserez remembers it well.

"The teams are so different," she said. "(Missouri) is playing great, they have a lot of great players. But we both graduated great players and we’re just completely different teams."

In the first meeting between Missouri and Florida last year, the Tigers were 23-0 and undefeated in the SEC, while UF was 18-2 with one conference loss.

So yes, the circumstances are different. But some factors haven’t changed.

"(Missouri) only lost two people last year. So it’s going to be the same outside (hitters), same middles that are going to challenge us in the same ways that they did last year," setter Mackenzie Dagostino said.

Even though she wasn’t yet at UF in 2011, Dagostino played against the Tigers last year and attributed both losses to Florida underestimating its opponent. The junior said they will not be making the same mistake this year.

"I think last year, you know, they have a smaller outside in Carly Kan. And because she was so much shorter, we thought, ‘oh we’ve got huge blocks on the right side, we don’t have to worry about it,’" Dagostino said.

"And she just balled out."

In the first of two matchups between UF and Mizzou last year, Kan finished with 13 kills, 12 digs, three service aces and a .379 hitting clip.

"Maybe inch-for-inch one of the most amazing outside hitters in the country," UF coach Mary Wise said of Kan.

This year, the 5-foot-9 Missouri hitter is averaging 3.80 points per set, just short of Florida’s Alex Holston’s 4.13 points per set.

But Kan isn’t the only Mizzou player UF is game planning for.

"I remember that Missouri has the type of team and the type of players that if one player doesn’t have their game going, others will pick it up," junior Gabby Mallette said. "They’re all really good, smart volleyball players."

Missouri’s 6-foot-3 All-SEC middle blocker Whitney Little is hitting .401 this year, good for third in the SEC. Her team is in the top half of the conference in assists, kills, blocks and digs.

In addition, Missouri is coming off a 3-2 road victory against Mississippi State, something Florida is hardly brushing over.

"When you have a tough win on the road, it shows a lot to your opponents," Dagostino said.

"To see them battle that hard against Mississippi state in five (sets), it’s definitely pushing us to work harder."

Florida is approaching tonight’s match cautiously but confidently, as they look to avoid a repeat of last year’s home blowout against the Tigers.

"We’re going to make sure we’re doing our part to do our part," Dagostino said, "and not underestimating what they have on their side of the net."

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @IcohenB