<p>Freshman middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan swings for a kill during Florida's 3-0 win against Georgia Southern on Aug. 29 in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Freshman middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan swings for a kill during Florida's 3-0 win against Georgia Southern on Aug. 29 in the O'Connell Center.

When Florida needed a point against San Diego on Thursday, it went to Rhamat Alhassan.

The 6-foot-4 freshman dominated the net against the Toreros, securing the first, second and third set points, and finished the night with 16 kills, five total blocks (one solo and four assisted) and a .800 hitting percentage.

"I think what you’re seeing is the future," coach Mary Wise said. "The thing that’s amazing is that it’s so early in her career, and watching the choices she makes around the block. ... She was pretty terrific."

No. 10 Florida (4-2) shutout No. 13 San Diego (5-2) 3-0, ending the Torero’s four-game winning streak while capturing its first victory against a ranked opponent this season.

Florida ran out to an early 11-6 lead in the first set before San Diego scored five straight points to tie the set.

But behind freshmen Alhassan and Carli Snyder, who finished the night with eight kills on 13 attacks, Florida held the lead for the remainder of the set to capture a 25-22 win.

It was more of the same in the second set, as the Gators took a 25-19 victory. Alhassan had eight kills in the second set alone.

"We said from the very beginning (Rhamat) is a very good learner," Wise said. "Her game will continue to evolve as she gets more playing experience with this group."

The third set began neck and neck, as both teams traded leads from the start until halfway through. After UF pulled ahead 14-12, it held USD to just two more points for the remainder of the match and cruised to a 25-14 set-clinching victory.

"It was a pretty special performance," Wise said. "We’ve seen San Diego just wreak havoc on teams with their serve and it was the first time we’ve faced that type of deep server. … But we made great improvements in the two practices we had this week."

The win was Florida’s first shutout since Aug. 29 against Idaho.

Florida is hoping for a similar outcome when they take on No. 6 Southern California (6-0) tonight at 10:30 in its final match of the USC Classic.

The Trojans are the second-highest ranked opponent the Gators have faced this season and feature two 6-foot-4 blockers in freshman Jordan Dunn and junior Alicia Ogums.

USC also boasts All-American outside hitter Samantha Bricio, who has recorded more than half the team’s service aces this season with 20.

"We’re playing USC (tonight), who features some of the most talented players in the country," Wise said. "So it’s not getting any easier, but we look at this weekend as another opportunity for our team to get better."

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @ibcohen5