<p>Ziva Recek reaches for the ball during Florida’s four-set victory against Western Michigan on Sept. 14 in the O’Connell Center.&nbsp;</p>

Ziva Recek reaches for the ball during Florida’s four-set victory against Western Michigan on Sept. 14 in the O’Connell Center. 

With a lack of options on offense, coach Mary Wise was forced to ride the arm of Ziva Recek throughout the 2012 season.

And although the 1,166 swings by the reigning AVCA Freshman of the Year helped bring the Gators a Southeastern Conference title and an appearance in the Sweet 16, Wise said her squad had to gain some depth so Recek wouldn’t wear out her shoulder in just her second year with the program.

Despite the addition of freshman Alex Holston and the return of Noami Santos-Lamb from an ACL tear, No. 4 Florida (9-1) heads into its matchup against Marquette (5-3) tonight at 8 in Milwaukee, Wisc., with Recek taking more swings than she did at this point last year.

Through 10 matches, the sophomore outside hitter has averaged 9.9 attacks per set compared to the 8.5 attacks per set she recorded after 10 games last season.

Although Wise said the offense has added more weapons, the Gators still heavily rely on Recek because she stabilizes the team mentally and physically when she is on the court.

“The maturity of Ziva as a player comes through . . . after an error,” she said. “Whether it is an error on her part or great play by the opponents, she doesn’t string errors together frequently at all and she doesn’t get down on herself. She just grinds the way through.”

Recek was supposed to sit out the entire Iona match Saturday in order to rest her arm and give a rehabilitating Santos-Lamb some much needed time on the court. However, when Florida went down 17-14 in the third set, Recek subbed in for a struggling Santos-Lamb and proved why she was Wise’s rock in tough situations.

The Gators went on a 13-8 run with the Slovenian recording two kills, including the final point that sealed the sweep over the Gaels.

Recek isn’t surprising anyone like she did last year either. After earning the national freshman of the year honor, Recek is being focused on by every Florida opponent, Wise said.

“A year ago, no one knew who she was,” she said. “A year ago she didn’t even play back row for us. (Now) she’s a highlight on their scouting report. We ask a lot (of her). There’s a huge load on her shoulders.”

But as Recek continues to bear the offensive burden while Holston, Santos-Lamb and others work on their game, her shoulder is paying the price.

Before the season, she said she was grateful that the offense wouldn’t have to count on her as often because it was difficult on her body.

“I think my shoulder won’t hurt that much anymore,” Recek said before the Gators opened up their season against New Orleans. “They don’t need to set me 60 percent of the balls anymore because we have other outside hitters.”

Recek’s hitting percentage has suffered as she continues to be the Gators’ first option on offense. Her clip has fallen from .357 after 10 matches last year to .270 so far this season.

While Florida tries to find more options outside of Recek, Marquette coach Bond Shymansky said his goal for the weekend is to also find balance offensively as the Golden Eagles’ Autumn Bailey has totaled nearly 50 percent more swings than the next closest player on the squad.

“It’s great to have a go-to hitter, but we can’t have one,” Shymansky said. “When somebody kind of comes after your top hitter for a little bit, you have to have options.”

Follow Jonathan Czupryn on Twitter @jczupryn.