Freshman defensive specialist making strides, preparing for big role on squad

<p>Sam Dubiel serves during Florida's 3-0 win against Mississippi State on Sunday.</p>

Sam Dubiel serves during Florida's 3-0 win against Mississippi State on Sunday.

On its deepest roster since at least 1996, Florida volleyball has offered fans a mixture of players ranging from a duo of setters to six defensive specialist options.

One of those defensive specialists is already becoming an integral piece to Florida’s future.

Freshman Sam Dubiel is one of two freshman defensive specialists that have been tabbed by coach Mary Wise and the rest of the Florida coaching staff to become the future of the back row.

A feat that would seem heavy for a freshman that has only played in three matches and four sets.

"I’ve been really working hard in practice and getting support from other teammates and so when we went in, I really looked to them, they had that support with me," Dubiel said. "… I think going in I have that mind set, ‘Oh just be ready to do whatever I can,’ so next year I’m ready for a bigger role."

The 5-foot-6 freshman has been adapting to Florida’s fast-paced offensive style in her couple of months with the team.

Dubiel — a big recruit because of her two consecutive Class 3A state championships with Wheaton St. Francis as the libero — played in her first match of the season against Georgia on Oct. 10, in which she didn’t put up any stats but had the opportunity to get her feet wet in college play.

Her next match was against Texas A&M where she got the opportunity to show off her biggest asset to the team yet: a work-in-progress, soon to be unbeatable, float serve.

"It’s a work in progress," Wise said. "Her serve will probably look very different at the end of her career, but right now she’s a consistent server who, whether it’s in practice or even the match, we feel very comfortable about her ability to locate, and I just think her speed and her locations are just going to get better."

With her growth on the serve and little bit of time that she is getting in matches, Dubiel is showing hints of why she will be one of Florida’s starting defensive specialists come January.

Dubiel will be sharing time on the court with freshman Lindsey Rogers and junior Nikki O’Rourke.

Of the three, Rogers is the only defensive specialist – a former outside hitter for her club team – that has yet to play this season.

"Sam, as with Lindsey and Nikki O’Rourke, are the future," Wise said.

"The roster will look very different come January when the three seniors and all their experience graduates. All three that I just mentioned – Sam, Lindsey and Nikki – though they are not getting the playing time in the matches, it’s just by numbers and number of substitutions that we’re limited. We’re seeing everyday in practice, their growth."

Follow Eden Otero on Twitter @edenotero_l