The Floridiana Show and Rare Book Sale will return to the Matheson History Museum this year and showcase antique collectors from around Florida.

The free event will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday at the museum, situated at 513 E. University Ave.

Museumgoers will have the opportunity to view and purchase a selection of Floridiana, historic postcards, antique bottles, jewelry and other memorabilia, said Peggy Macdonald, the executive director of the museum.

“The Floridiana show is just a celebration of this beautiful Florida from a century ago that is lost in some ways, but still exists in old postcards, images, books and objects,” Macdonald said. “It’s fun to look at it all, and of course people get really into collecting it.”

The Floridiana show has gained more interest on social media than any event the museum has hosted in the past.

The show costs $25 for vendors and collectors to join and will be set up inside the museum, Macdonald said. 

She said collectors would have the opportunity to both show and sell pieces from their collections. During the event, items in the gift shop will be on a special 20-percent discount.

“There are a lot of unique shows around the state, but they are very specific — like about specific military history or civil war,” Macdonald said.  “Floridiana shows are unique.”

Sharon Bauer, a volunteer and research consultant at the museum, is looking forward to Saturday’s sale.

“While I buy postcards and UF yearbooks online, I’m glad to have the opportunity to see them and talk to vendors at the show,” Bauer said.

Macdonald said the show will be an opportunity for Florida collectors to connect with the public and other collectors who share a common obsession.

“Collecting is just addictive,” Macdonald said. “People get so into it. It’s fun for the collectors to see other collectors and people who spend so much time trying to find these rare Florida items.”

The show also offers a hands-on learning experience for the public.

“It is a fun way to learn history, because even though these are objects or papers or things you can hold and look at, you can also learn a lot from them,” Macdonald said.

Janet Jones, a 20-year-old UF international relations junior, plans on attending the event with a friend.

“I love how eclectic and vibrant the Florida and specifically Gainesville community is,” Jones said. “I am really excited to check out the antique jewelry since I love to collect one-of-a-kind pieces.”

Along with antique postcards and jewelry, Macdonald said collectable books will be items of interest at the Floridiana show.

“Some of the vendors will be bringing their own books. Some will be Florida-themed, and some will be unique old books,” Macdonald said. “The theme is definitely old and historic. Eclectic is another good word for it.”

The event will offer an opportunity for the viewing and sale of uniquely historic items.

“In terms of the Floridiana, we have things that are sort of vintage-retro. People are taking a renewed interest in old theme parks before Disney, like Weeki Wachee mermaids and, of course, Silver Springs and Cypress Gardens,” she said. “In many ways, some of these items might be over the top or sort of tacky and eclectic, but that’s what makes them so much fun.”