Instead of the usual three musketeers, locals will only see two at the Hippodrome State Theatre starting Friday.

The Hippodrome will present the world premiere of “The Two Musketeers” on Friday, and showings of the play will run through May 3. Tickets are $15 for students and up to $35 for adults. There will also be a preview today at a discounted price.  

This high-comedy play by Jon Jory is an adaptation of the original story of “The Three Musketeers” but with a twist. The plot revolves around a theater company having to exclude one musketeer due to funding. 

Artistic Director Lauren Caldwell said it is a whole group of theater professionals who are involved with the production. 

“It’s telling the story of the three musketeers the best way the actors can,” Caldwell said. “If you know the three musketeers, you’ll know what’s going on, and if you don’t, you’ll know anyways.”

Starting on Sunday, the Hippodrome is also collaborating with Community Partner Nights to support local nonprofit organizations, allowing people to get half-price tickets for the show if they donate the appropriate items for the organizations scheduled for a particular night, said Kelli McAdams, graphic designer and marketing coordinator for the Hippodrome. 

“We did it last year with our show ‘Good People.’ It went really well, so we’re doing it again,” McAdams said. “The play is about people who are down on their luck and are struggling financially, so we thought it was a good idea to get involved with organizations that help others.”

Some of the organizations participating  include March of Dimes, Child Advocacy Center and Grace Marketplace. Requested donations include snacks, juice boxes, socks, toiletries, gift cards and cash.

Chris Alfonso, a 21-year-old UF theatre junior, said he is looking forward to seeing the play.

“I’m not very familiar with the play, but since my professor is in the show, I am excited to see her act rather than just teach,” Alfonso said. “I also expect a lot of stage combat due to just the title itself.”

Showtimes, the list of donations to bring for each organization and the night they will be there can be found at thehipp.org.