Few people think lining up clay pots and smashing them indiscriminately with the force of a bowling ball is an art form. Well, if you happen to be one of the people who desire violence against all pots, you’ll find that and more at the UF Art Bash.

The free annual event, which drew 600 attendees last year, will take place on Oct. 18 at the UF fine arts complex from 6 to 9 p.m. It’s an opportunity for students to showcase their artwork in photography, graphic design, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics and digital media.

Student art will be displayed in the classrooms, hallways and the courtyard of the arts complex, according to Richard Heipp, director of the School of Art + Art History.

Displays will include large-scale inflatable art from the students of the Workshop for Art Research and Practice, as well as a game of “pot bowling,” hosted by student organization Handbuilt Or Thrown Clay. Alumnus artist Jason Mitcham, the artist behind the Avett Brothers’ “Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise” music video, will also be featured, according to a news release.

Heipp will be performing live music with the rest of the R. Mutt Blues Band, winner of the 2013 North Central Florida Blues Society’s Challenge, according to the release.

Robert Mueller, a senior faculty member in printmaking at the art school, said the event will showcase several hundred pieces of art.

“There is no theme to this show,” Mueller said, “only a one-day showcase of student art to the community.”

Ben Weary, a 24-year-old store associate at the UF Bookstore, said he hasn’t heard much about the event but would definitely attend.

“I’ve lived in Gainesville all my life,” Weary said. “I would definitely be interested in anything that caught my attention.”

High school or middle school students from around the Gainesville area are also encouraged to bring their art pieces to be showcased at the event, Mueller said.

“Art bash is all about making the visual arts visual,” he said.

A version of this story ran on page 10 on 10/10/2013 under the headline "Art Bash promises to be a smash"