Six pictures of women who changed Florida’s history lined the walls of the Matheson History Museum; their stories are interconnected and interwoven into the state’s history, undoubtedly changing it forever. Without them, Florida would have lost the Everglades and suffrage, and civil rights and environmentalism might not have progressed as quickly.

The women selected for the "Saving the Sunshine State: Women Leaders in the 20th Century in Gainesville" exhibit are: May Mann Jennings, Zora Neale Hurston, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Marjorie Harris Carr, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and Mary McLeod Bethune. Each woman worked to improve Florida and the lives of its residents in areas such as conservation, civil rights, writing, education and suffrage during the 20th century, according to a Matheson History Museum press release.

Joanna Grey is the marketing and education coordinator for the museum. This is the first exhibit she has seen completed from start to finish since she began working at the museum in May.

"The overarching themes of our exhibit are suffrage, education, environmentalism and conservationism," Grey said. "Just women activists wanting to improve our state and wanting to improve the lives around them."

She said these women focused not only on their current generation but future generations as well.The women were contemporaries, and many of them were friends, or had some contact with one another; this is highlighted by the handwritten letters between women featured in the exhibits.

In Mary McLeod Bethune’s display case, items are on loan from the Bethune Foundation. Some featured items include two yearbooks, a brass elephant and a cane she had only to command presence and not for physical need, according to Grey.

There is a case for Rawlings’ and Carr’s items, which include copies of letters. Grey said due to the scarcity of originals, most museums have copies of documents. Carr, a UF graduate, has a saddle on display which she rode while in Honduras, according to Grey.

"My hope, personally, is that it brings in people outside of Alachua County, not just people from Gainesville," Grey said. "Even though we have many local connections in our exhibit, we wanted to relate it more to people outside Alachua County." She said the museum attracts many people through social media.

The exhibit will be on display from Sept. 1 to Oct. 31. Throughout that time, there will be several events hosted by professionals who will give seminars, tours and discussions on the women and their influence on Florida. More information can be found at mathesonmuseum.org/events-1.html.

"I just encourage people of all backgrounds, of both genders, everybody to come see this exhibit because it is something we can all relate to," Grey said. "Whatever your cause may be, there is something to be inspired by."