First Magnitude Brewing Company hosts fundraiser to benefit Harn Museum of Art

Spend your Thursday evening drinking beer, listening to music and eating pizza in support of art.

First Magnitude Brewing Company, a locally owned brewery located at 1220 SE Veitch St., will host a fundraiser today from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in support of the Harn Museum of Art. The brewery is known throughout Gainesville for brewing creative beers of all kinds, from India pale ales to stouts.

“The membership drive is to get more awareness,” said Ben Guzman, the brewing company’s event coordinator. “Giving (the Harn) a new location to bring their message out and show everyone what they do over there.”

Guests are able to give a voluntary $20 donation in exchange for a free pint, and Guzman said all donations are benefiting the Harn’s exhibitions and programs.

“Art and community go hand and hand, there’s no way around it,” he said. “It is important to make sure that Gainesville is a vibrant community, so it’s an easy collaboration.”

Guzman said events hosted by the brewing company are more approachable for Gainesville residents, offering a unique and relaxed atmosphere. Gainesville-based jazz/pop fusion band 7th Terrace will be playing throughout the event.

“Craft breweries, especially ours, are known as relaxed places,” he said. “Beer tends to do that for people. That’s our mission — to make good beer and get people together.”

Humble Wood Fire, a local company that makes artisan pizzas from their mobile oven, will be in attendance at the event for catering.

The event is open to the public, and there is no need to RSVP.