Gameday season is upon us, and with the Gators’ first home football game approaching, it’s important to know how to get through the day.

If you haven’t been to a Gator game yet, you’re in for a treat. Home games are some of the most exciting times of Fall, and they contribute to a majority of memories made throughout college. With that being said, there are some things you must know before going full-swing into a gameday.

Many games start at either 3:30 p.m. or 7:30 p.m., with tailgates beginning a few hours before. Whether you’re getting ready early in the morning or later in the afternoon, it’s still crucial to prepare with a healthy start to your day.

Dylan Sowers, a 21-year-old UF sports management major, attends every home game. He said his go-to plan to prepare for gameday is to drink a lot of water in the morning and eat a large, healthy breakfast. It’s also important to get a good night’s sleep before a game so you’re well-rested and ready to take on the day.

“The most important advice I have for people participating in gameday would be to stay hydrated,” the senior said. “It’s extremely hot outside, and it’s easy to forget to drink water throughout the day.”

Sowers also said to find a solid group of friends to spend the day with.

“My friends and I tailgate together before heading over to The Swamp to cheer on the Gators,” Sowers said. “It’s more enjoyable when you have a group of people to go with.”

It is essential to make sure you bring the necessities with you. Alexandra Colangelo, a 21-year-old UF senior speech therapy major, never leaves the house for a gameday without a portable phone charger, a protein bar or other snack and a bottle of water.

Colangelo, like Sowers, also stressed the importance of staying hydrated. The Florida heat is rough, and the only way to get through it is with plenty of water.

While staying healthy and hydrated is certainly a key component to surviving a Gator gameday, there are other aspects of football season that are equally critical and much more fun, like putting together the perfect gameday outfit. Colangelo puts a lot of planning into the outfit she wears for gameday.

“Be sure to wear comfortable shoes that you’re fine with getting dirty or wet,” Colangelo said. “Pay attention to the weather, too, because that will help decide what you’re wearing.”

If it’s going to be hot outside, you might want to stick to a sleeveless outfit, Colangelo said. On the other hand, long-sleeve Gator attire might come in handy on the colder Florida days. Because there is unpredictable rain in Gainesville, you might want to check if you will need an umbrella or rain jacket. To Colangelo, the most important advice for your first Gator gameday is to enjoy yourself and make new memories. “Take lots of pictures and enjoy the people you are doing gameday with, because it’s some of the best memories you’re going to make,” Colangelo said.